Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Limited Elite Caliber for is best for...

Paradigm311

I've never heard of a Tanfoglio before. I'm not a competition shooter by any means, so I really need your opinions here. The problem is, I have absolutely fallen in love with this pistol, that you competition guys seem to enjoy, and know lots about. As I have no way to even handle one of these prior to purchase, I'm trying to get some opinions as to what caliber would be best for me. The main purpose of the gun would be for heavy, but FUN target practice. Id also like the option of home defense (If I had to) I am considering the 40s&w or the 45ACP. Also, I need to think of resale ability, in case I end up not loving it once its in the hand. My hope, is to make the right decision and love the gun, so I can pass it down to my son one day. That's what I would love to happen.

Edited by Paradigm311

If your looking at the Elite Limited specifically, as in your topic,

go with the .40 . This way if you could compete in Limited division if you wanted and resale is still pretty good.

Also welcome to the forums.

Edited by gunnit

Thanks Gunnit. Unfortunately, there will be no competitions for me. Nothing of the sort in my area, so that wont be of concern. Im looking for the best caliber for enjoyment, fast target acquisition, manageability, longevity and trouble free as possible ownership. Which caliber does the limited Elite really shine in?

In the Elite Limited, IMHO, still go with the 40.

However, in the Limited Pro, the 9mm. But you wanted to go heavy and home defense and re-sale,

then stay in the 40. The Elite Limited is single action only.

Others will be chiming in shortly to give there opinions also.

Take your time and way the pros and cons before you buy one.

The Limited is a great shooter in 9mm (that would be my choice for a pure range toy), best resale value will be .40 because it is a competition pistol and that is the caliber for the intended division; 9mm will be a close second in resale with 45, 10mm and 38 super dwindling behind. It's SAO so it would not be my first choice for home defense. To fill that role you can get a Witness steel DA/SA in addition for a very reasonable price.

I just bought this pistol in .45 ACP. I don't complete with it; I just like the gun's looks, features and performance. I only had to adjust the LPA rear sight a few clicks up and to the left to get it on target. It came with a fiber optic sight but

I haven't installed it yet. These targets are from 10 yards. The pistol is extremely accurate with 185 gr semi-wadcutter match ammo with minimal recoil. Standard 230 gr. loads are more pronounced in comparison.
I had to purchase another mag and Henning Shop base plate so the mag would fit the mag well, butl I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It would serve as an outstanding competition, range gun or SD firearm.

Photobucket%20pic_zpskjsvlzqr.jpg

20160206_180714_zpsv0ovy5wp.jpg

20160206_182712_zpsqcbghcxl.jpg

Edited by SCPistolero

I just bought this pistol in .45 ACP. I don't complete with it; I just like the gun's looks, features and performance. I only had to adjust the LPA rear sight a few clicks up and to the left to get it on target. It came with a fiber optic sight but

I haven't installed it yet. These targets are from 10 yards. The pistol is extremely accurate with 185 gr semi-wadcutter match ammo with minimal recoil. Standard 230 gr. loads are more pronounced in comparison.

I had to purchase another mag and Henning Shop base plate so the mag would fit the mag well, butl I'm very satisfied with my purchase. It would serve as an outstanding competition, range gun or SD firearm.

She is a Beaut for sure! Did you buy the new style grips, or did it come with it? Any reason you chose 45 over the 40?

I like the 40 over 45. Very easy to reload for minimal recoil and for less $. If you don't reload, 40 is an even better choice based on ammo cost. It also holds more rounds.

Just one person's opinion.

I most likely wont be reloading. I haven't found the ammo prices to be too much more for the .45. What is it about the .40 in and of itself, you like better? How about the recoil, and manageability?

Edited by Paradigm311

I reload now, but before got factory reloads for $210-230 / 1000. I saw 45's always 15% or more higher.

I like holding 14+1 over 10+1. Recoil is greater with the 45. Some shoot light 135-155gr high velicity 40 and feel more snap than thw 45 230gr push. I prefer the 180gr (or 200gr in reloads) as they are not snappy. In fact, 200gr loaded minor is a cream puff. Out of a limited, it will be tame and very easy shooting.

For SD, the 40 expands close to the 45 and has a very very good record of quick stops on the street.

Just one opinion.

She is a Beaut for sure! Did you buy the new style grips, or did it come with it? Any reason you chose 45 over the 40?

It came with the grips in the in the picture.

.45 ACP is my personal preference.

40 gives the most options

If and when you find some comp shooting

Plenty of capacity, easy to reload when you start and if you don't like the pistol it will have best resale

9mm would be my second choice, but I compete

IF I just wanted what you state in your first post I'd buy the nine cause it would be the nicest to shoot at the range etc

also plenty good for SD with the right ammo

I'd go with the 9mm if you're not going to compete. You can shot a lot more without breaking the bank, most options with ammo, nicest recoil, highest capacity and plenty adequate for SD with the right ammo. And you can still compete, minor is fun too!

Edited by mrd

I'm looking mostly for what is the most enjoyable to shoot and keep on target, between the .40 and .45. No competitions in this area, so the focus is more on fun, and manageable shooting between the two calibers. Thank you all so much for your responses, especially as I've ever even held a Tanfoglio.

I suspect you'll find the recoil manageable in any of the calibers. The gun is very well-designed for soaking up recoil. I think the comments you've gotten about the .40 having better resale value because of gamers are correct. For pure range enjoyment, a 9mm in a heavy gun is a lot of fun and very, very docile. 10 rounds doesn't seem like very much for a fairly big gun, and that's what a .45 gives you.

I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions! I appreciate you guys for been so helpful! I did finally make a decision and that decision was for...the 45. My reasons were, I will never be reloading, we have no ranges or competitions in our area, and in the future, I plan to purchase a 1911, so they can share 45 ammo. Considering the weight and design, I'm guessing this could be the best shooting 45 I've experienced. I do agree that the 9mm having such great capacity and cheap ammo is certainly appealing, so I ended up getting a 9mm conversion kit. Got both the 45 and kit new, for less than what the gun itself retails, so I'm hoping that was a fair price. I REALLY hope to love the gun and pass it on to my son one day. ...They are just so beautiful! As appealing as the arguments for.40 are, It just gave the more warm and fuzzies having this piece of art in 45. I can also certainly say, you competition guys have some incredible weaponry!