Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which brand recoil spring seems better? Open gun 9mm major

G17fan

Personal preference. I personally only use Wolff Variable for my 9mm open guns.

Same here especially after Matt said that's what he puts in his open builds. I run 8's but 7 seems flatter but you need to keep the gun very clean.

There is one of those Brazos articles that discusses the benefits of variable springs in an open gun

Two types of recoil springs are available: standard and variable rate. Variable rate means the coils are wound different at the back than at the front of the spring. Because the coils are closer together at the front of the spring, it stacks up as the slide comes to the rear and then closes softer. I prefer this type of spring, especially in an open gun.

Sarge, Is this the Brazos article you were talking about?

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0301.htm

Wolff or Sprinco.

ISMI springs (both recoil and mag springs) wear out very quickly in my experience. They also had some issues with springs that had too many coils, which led to coil bind unless you cut some off. They are also weaker compared to the same weights in Wolff or Sprinco.

Two types of recoil springs are available: standard and variable rate. Variable rate means the coils are wound different at the back than at the front of the spring. Because the coils are closer together at the front of the spring, it stacks up as the slide comes to the rear and then closes softer. I prefer this type of spring, especially in an open gun.

Sarge, Is this the Brazos article you were talking about?

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0301.htm

Yes indeed.

Wolff or Sprinco.

ISMI springs (both recoil and mag springs) wear out very quickly in my experience. They also had some issues with springs that had too many coils, which led to coil bind unless you cut some off. They are also weaker compared to the same weights in Wolff or Sprinco.

Hello: This not what I found. I measure the spring weight of the recoil springs. Sprinco are good but Wolff can be way off. As for wearing out that is just not true. The ISMI spring takes a set and stays there for a very long time. The Wolff springs just keep getting shorter and weaker. You start out with a certain spring weight and after 2000 rounds it is now a lot softer and a 1/2" shorter. I have not tried the new Wolff chrome silicon springs they make now which should be a lot better than the piano wire ones they sell. I still say 8 or 9 pound will work for you. Thanks, Eric

Wolff or Sprinco.

Hello: This not what I found. I measure the spring weight of the recoil springs. Sprinco are good but Wolff can be way off. As for wearing out that is just not true. The ISMI spring takes a set and stays there for a very long time. The Wolff springs just keep getting shorter and weaker. You start out with a certain spring weight and after 2000 rounds it is now a lot softer and a 1/2" shorter. I have not tried the new Wolff chrome silicon springs they make now which should be a lot better than the piano wire ones they sell. I still say 8 or 9 pound will work for you. Thanks, Eric

I have a spring tester as well.

As for which wears out faster, all we can do is relay our respective experiences and let the OP make up his/her own mind. Right? I'm not going to say someone else is wrong because their experience is/was different than mine.