Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra lightweight rifle build

Nathanb

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, FlashAndPoof said:

How is the recoil on these ultralights? 

Wondering if it gets to a point where it weighs too little and increases recoil to the point where it's not worth it.

Recoil with low mass components, adjustable gas and lighter loads is not at all objectionable with my son's 5.5lb rifle, but there's no doubt the dot jumps 3 times more than a normal weight rifle and pairs on paper reflect that.

3 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Recoil with low mass components, adjustable gas and lighter loads is not at all objectionable with my son's 5.5lb rifle, but there's no doubt the dot jumps 3 times more than a normal weight rifle and pairs on paper reflect that.

Can't say my experience reflects this. My lightweight builds recoil is pretty similar to other heavier builds I've had.

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

Can't say my experience reflects this. My lightweight builds recoil is pretty similar to other heavier builds I've had.

Then either physics don't apply to you or you've mastered some unheard of shooting techniques and should promptly inform all the people that jumped off the ultra light bandwagon halfway through the season. There's no such thing as a free lunch, if you have two similar objects of substantially  different weights then apply the same force to both of them they will react differently. 

16 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Then either physics don't apply to you or you've mastered some unheard of shooting techniques and should promptly inform all the people that jumped off the ultra light bandwagon halfway through the season. There's no such thing as a free lunch, if you have two similar objects of substantially  different weights then apply the same force to both of them they will react differently. 

Or 2 people can have different opinions. Notice I said similar and you said 3 times more.  I'm not saying it's a "free lunch" just that the change I perceive is far less than you.

1 minute ago, Garmil said:

Or 2 people can have different opinions. Notice I said similar and you said 3 times more.  I'm not saying it's a "free lunch" just that the change I perceive is far less than you.

Fair enough, we can certainly agree to disagree. 

FWIW, when I said it jumped 3 times more I meant it. With my main (9lb) rifle sub .2 splits on 20 yard paper are pretty regularly at or inside 2 inches of spread when I do my part. The 5.5lb rifle is very consistently a 5-7" gun. The perceived recoil isn't 3 times heavier, it just jumps around 3 times more no matter what I try.  This may not matter to a lot of guys but if you're like me and in matches it's common to see two holes closer to the edge of paper than is ideal and a FTN or two can really change your match placement it matters a lot.

I have a heavier 18 inch SPR..and a lighter 16 Inch Hanson, with lightweight hand guard.  

i get faster and more accurate splits on heavier and longer barrel. 

Only slightly more muzzle rise on lightweight.... 

but the game isn't all about splits.....

there will be a decreasing return on investment  at a certain point Either heavier or lighter.  I also think at that that level  it's not about tuned reciprocating mass  affecting muzzle flip.  But over all mass or lack of it.   

lighter you go The more "muzzle flip" you get

i haven't shot a "ultra light weight"  rifle yet but I would think that yes you can go too light 

too heavy decrease in transition time and increase in fatigue... ( but shoots uber flat)

a think it best to find the right balance .........of weight,load,  components for your body and shooting style and Course of fire.  

This is bed is to big.... This bed is to soft..... This bed is just right.....  While not an ultra light I think I stumbled upon just right balance on my last build....

Anyone is welcome to shoot  my toys for comparison.   I'd suggest shooting as many different configurations as you can.....

( Caveat emptor I haven't competed yet......   I have stayed at holiday inn)

i also think unless your shooting at national level or better..... Much of this minutia is moot......   I don't think I'll ever shoot any where near the potential of any of my toys......   But tinkering is part of the fun......

Edited by biglou13

16 hours ago, FlashAndPoof said:

How is the recoil on these ultralights? 

Wondering if it gets to a point where it weighs too little and increases recoil to the point where it's not worth it.

Two things: first low mass system with tuned gas block and muzzle brake/compensator can be soft shooting. 

Second: final weight on wife's gun is 5.6 lb with Aimpoint H1 micro and TLR 1 rifle light.  I had to go with regular carbine buffer for improved reliability.  I might revisit this sometime with springs to see if I can drop a couple ounces in the future.

image.jpeg

Very nice! I find hat in carbine matches 50 yards and under the lighter gun works well. I have a 14.5" light profile Daniel Defense barrel with the SLR Solo lighweight KM handguard. All other components standard. Weighs in a around 6 lbs with the T-2 Micro. Very handy and quick.

For longer range matches, I use the 18" Rainier Arms upper and it is a relative beast, but flat and steady. I would agree that the lighter gun will show more mobility in the sights from my experience.