Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Reflex vs. 10mm

Reverendpdp

I've had issues with my Fastfire III turning off under recoil. And most of the people around here who run them seem to have some kind of issue whether its turning off or not holding a zero. I would stay away from the FastFire.

Have you considered using a frame mounted optic? Your biggest enemy with a slide mount is that the sight will be battered by the movement of the slide with every shot. A frame mounted optic is VASTLY more likely to hold up to the recoil of a 10mm, plus the Hunter frame is pre-drilled and tapped for a mount. Just order whichever mount you like, attach with threadlock on the screws, and mount your sight.

That being said, as far as I know currently frame mounts for Tanfoglio pistols are only made to accept a traditional C-More or an RTS2. But if you're using the pistol for hunting, that shouldn't be an issue.

Have you considered using a frame mounted optic? Your biggest enemy with a slide mount is that the sight will be battered by the movement of the slide with every shot. A frame mounted optic is VASTLY more likely to hold up to the recoil of a 10mm, plus the Hunter frame is pre-drilled and tapped for a mount. Just order whichever mount you like, attach with threadlock on the screws, and mount your sight.

That being said, as far as I know currently frame mounts for Tanfoglio pistols are only made to accept a traditional C-More or an RTS2. But if you're using the pistol for hunting, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks Rudukai,

I have considered it, and realize it would be a better option to for follow-up shots, as well as for less battering to the optic. It just looks much bulkier than the slide mount version. Unless there are options I haven't seen?

Any frame-mounted optic is going to be a slightly bulkier setup than slide-mounted, that's just the way it goes. If you're concerned about finding a holster for the pistol with a frame-mount, it should be relatively easy to find someone who will make you a custom rig using either kydex or leather, like for a hunting revolver.

I'd suggest looking into a single-sided frame mount for a traditional C-More, get an aluminum click model, and order one with a smaller dot - 6, 4, or 2 MOA. Get the pistol put together the way you want it, then take it to a holster maker and have them set you up with a custom rig. You'll have one badass hunting setup :devil:

• 1 month later...

I had a FF3 on my glock 17 using a dovetail mount. Worked good. From 7yds to 15yds. But when I went to 147 gr the cases would hit the ff3. Looked like a serrated knife. Lucky the glass is thick enough. It survived.

I changed the slide mount to a frame mount. Now the ff3 sits higher and at 7yds is good. But 15yds it's high. Need to find a compromise.