Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sports and slide stops

cpa5oh

I own two Tactical Sports that I shoot limited with. One I hardly every shoot - it's in near new condition (except for the fact that I pull all of my goofy preferences into it to make it exactly like the one I do shoot.) The one I shoot has eaten 3 slide stops in about 25,000 rounds. First one it broke was the one that came installed in the gun - probably went 20,000 rounds with it. It broke on the last shot of a stage so it didn't hurt me competitively. The next two broke in practice, but they took a lot fewer than 20,000 rounds to break.

For those that shoot the Tactical Sport a lot: how often are you breaking slide stops? Have you done anything to try and mitigate the chance of this happening at a match (maybe swap an old one in for practice?)

I assume there isn't anything that can be done to completely prevent this? Maybe run the polymer shock buffs that come with the gun? Some type of special heat treating that could be done to the stops?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run more than 20 000 rounds on my original slide stop, but i use the buffers. Major loads destroy the buffers in a few thousand rounds - so i think they're doing something to protect the gun

Sent by Jedi mind control

What weight recoil spring are you running? it appears to me the slide stops break on the way back into battery. You could always use one of Hennings pins: http://henningshop.com/products/tanfoglio-titefit-slide-pin-h181

Although you might break the barrel instead of the pin...

What about using a brand new pin for matches and rotating it out every few thousand rounds?

What weight recoil spring are you running? it appears to me the slide stops break on the way back into battery. You could always use one of Hennings pins: http://henningshop.com/products/tanfoglio-titefit-slide-pin-h181

Although you might break the barrel instead of the pin...

What about using a brand new pin for matches and rotating it out every few thousand rounds?

Not sure what lb recoil spring I've got...it isn't the lightest of the range that is recommended, but it's lighter than the stock one.

That Henning pin - I assume any functionality of the slide stop would be gone with that? (which I'd be fine with) Never heard of that part...

I think I'll have to have a brand new pin for matches if the Henning pin thing isn't right.

I've run more than 20 000 rounds on my original slide stop, but i use the buffers. Major loads destroy the buffers in a few thousand rounds - so i think they're doing something to protect the gun

Notice the buffers when you're shooting? I have a 2011 and when a 'gunsmith' put one in my gun I felt like there was a second recoil impulse, like a pogo stick or something.

Notice the buffers when you're shooting? I have a 2011 and when a 'gunsmith' put one in my gun I felt like there was a second recoil impulse, like a pogo stick or something.
I can't say i notice the buffer at all while shooting, but maybe I'm just an idiot [emoji3]

The ones without the slide stop part? Figured they'd be cut out of bar stock or something.

EDIT: I meant the slide release paddle. The slide stop part being required and all....

This is interesting - and cheaper than the whole slide stop. Anybody have any experience with it? $9...

New question - when I look inside the frame of one of my TS's, I see the inside of the hole where the slide stop goes through is a pretty sharp edge. Anybody ever try to break that edge (not sure what you'd call that - basically round it a little bit just on the inside edge)? Mine break right around that point...

I've run over 65K through my .40 TS. No buffer, light recoil springs. Never broke a slide stop. I do consider them consumables through. I have a "big match" stop and one I normally run for practice/locals. I replace that every year or so. As I understand it the slide stop is a designed failure point. Make one out of depleted uranium and your barrel becomes the failure point. I would not consider this an improvement. :-) From your post it appears you had one stop last 20K and two that died in less than 5K combined? 2,500 rounds is not a normal lifespan. The 20K is more normal.

Edited by Neomet

The ones without the slide stop part? Figured they'd be cut out of bar stock or something.

EDIT: I meant the slide release paddle. The slide stop part being required and all....

This is interesting - and cheaper than the whole slide stop. Anybody have any experience with it? $9...

I hope the CZ slide stop pins w/o paddle work well, I just ordered 6 of them. I broke a 3rd slide stop with paddle Sat at a match. I used my last spare to repair it....

Buy a #9 drill rod and cut it to the correct length with a dremel cutoff wheel. It is hardened steel with a diameter of .196, I put one of these in my Tanfo Gold Team after breaking the slide stop while shooting a match.

Edited by MrPostman