Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supressor/SBR question

WidowsSon683

If you permanently attached a 6 or 7" suppressor to say a 10.5" barrel, would that then make it a 16.5" barrel and no longer an SBR. Or would you not suggest permanently attaching the suppressor. Also, if this thread is in the wrong place or bordering on what you call firearms law do as you must.

You can do that and it won't be a short barrel rifle but it is going to suck to maintain if you get a baffle strike you're really going to be in trouble too. You can also move a suppressor from host to host. That to me is worth the extra 200 bucks for the sbr and can seperate

I agree with Nathanb. Don't make a suppressor a solid mount. When you mount a can on a gun, it blows more gas back into the action and the wear and tear is magnified beyond belief. A SBR will require maintenance and cleaning or it wont run long. I switched my short gun to piston, only because of the can. I could see someone making a illegal can and mounting it in that manner, thinking all would be legal, but the Federal time and fines associated with it is not worth the risk, unless they are beyond stupid. But the beyond stupid makes the best criminals, sure make my job easier in the interview process when they are that stupid.

I would do an integral silencer/barrel on a pistol caliber or .22 that has lower pressure and use a design where I could tear it down to clean. I've never considered doing that with higher pressured rifle calibers tho. Integral silencers aren't quite the same as a simply welding a silencer to the end of a barrel either tho.

You are correct as far as it being 16", but you already have the wait and $200 tax stamp for the silencer portion, so unless your state law does not allow for SBR's, I would pay the $200 for the SBR versus tac welding a can to the end of a short barrel.

Building your own integrally suppressed upper would be possible but would probably void most of suppressor warranties to permanently attach them to a barrel. There are a couple of companies that sell integrally suppressed uppers and rifles. Tactical Solutions sells an upper that is basically a short barrel(11") with a permanently attached shroud that brings OAL to 16" that your suppressor screws into. Not the prettiest or lightest but it lets you remove the can and still have a 16" barrel and saves a tax stamp.

While I agree with much of what has been stated in this thread, I would consider a fixed suppressor under certain circumstances. I own one fixed suppressor and believe it is the best possible solution for that weapon. If the mode of operation is blow back, and the barrel is readily replaced, and only Jacketed bullets are to be used, a fixed suppressor saves a stamp and a ton of hassle. Mine is an Uzi, no others come to mind, but there certainly must be some. For a .223 I would not do it unless I needed a short rifle and the law did not allow a SBR.