Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301Comp Open set up

BoyGlock

The only experience I have with the SX3 was the one that I owned that ran like a top. Most of the posts you read about them being unreliable are "a guy at the range was using one and it choked" or "I heard...." :)

Good luck with the new rig. The 1301 is a fine choice.

Mike of the options I listed above, the SX3 is one Im seriously considering inspite of my reads last night. It came from a tested platform and maker FN/win. But so is the 1301 by Beretta and M1 by Benelli. I may not have limits in budget but for its price vs 1301 and m1, and if it will do what the other two can Im all for it. So far Im depending soley on you guys in this forum to hopefully make the right decision.

As of this time I have zero experience on them but heres my take on my options:

1301: 3-5 months to availability. Almost ready to race. For Open, I will add a rail, reddot, +7 extn tube, 2 chokes.

SX3: readily available. Set up for hunting but can be raced and as of this time Im more on shooting and learning/training. Add rail, reddot, +7 or 8 (how many rounds in stock tube to make 12?), lowest priced.

M1 Practical: readily available. Ready to race. Except Add a reddot, need to replace tube to make it 12 rnds as its not ready(?) fo have an extension, most expensive, double the cost of SX3. Cannot be used in other divs except Open, which Im gonna be ( but who knows later?). Wont shoot light and moderate loads.

So far these are the things in my so confused undecided and newbie mind :)

Bottom line, I need and want something thats reliable and durable that can at least race.

Understood. I shoot an M1 now for Limited/Factory/Tac-Iron, whatever the name is today... I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. Please keep in mind that a shotgun is only as good as the fit is to the shooter, so make sure it either fits you out of the box, or you get some help getting it fitted to YOU.. :)

The SX3 here has 28" barrel and the 1301 thats still to arrive has 24". If I use as intended a +7 nordic tube, I would prefer the 28 over the 24 so the tube will not protrude too much from the muzzle. It could even be almost flush. Might be a small matter but its important to consider I think when dumping the gun.

Most of your folks on the Philippine national teams shot Benelli at the IPSC world shotgun championships, and none of them complained of their guns not running on light or moderate loads. While not true, it seems to be stuck in your head that Benelli wont run "lighter stuff", so go with the SX3. They are great guns. They run well, they seem to eat any reasonable load given them, and in your case it is at a reasonable price. The one Mike had was great and I got to shoot it a bit. Buy one with confidence!

The Benelli "practical" is a gun I would personally stay away from. They are not legal in any division but open, and due to the way Benelli designed it, it isn't a very good open platform. BUY THE SX3!

I played in open with a tube gun last year. I quad load pretty well and usually didn't feel like I was at a big disadvantage to the mag fed guns, except the unloaded starts. Usually there is plenty of movement/time to load. Plus I had the advantage of being able to throw a slug in the gun mid stage.

You might consider a longer tube. 14 is still reasonable to handle. I ran a 17 round tube and it was a little ridiculous to handle and slow to safely ground in shallow barrels.

Thats another thing to consider, mode of reload, 2/4L or speedloaders. My initial thought is to learn and be proficient at both. So I will have a shell carrier and speedloaders in my belt. But can I 2/4L with a magwell installed in the loading port? Guess not. So between the two, w/c is best in terms of effeciency is what Im looking into now.

Eta. Mag fed guns are not available yet here.

Edited by BoyGlock

Finally made the decision: it will be the 1301 comp over the SX3. Now comes the equally agonizing part, the 3-5 months wait for the stocks to arrive. But at least I can now decide and get the accessories and gears for its Open set up.

First in the list is the reloading gears. Speedloaders or 2/4L? Speedloaders and its magwell set up is far more expensive than the 2/4L gears. But in my uneducated opinion 2/4L is as fast if not faster than speed loaders. Pls correct me if Im wrong guys.

2/4l isn't as fast as speed loaders by any strech , practice for practice.

Speed loader chute is a bit of money, and you still have to break the sharp edges in the loading port. No one makes a dedicated chute for a 1301 so you will have to modify one for something else.

If you decide to do the 2/4l option you will need to do a lot of port work, either yourself or have someone who understands it do it.

What you really need to do is get in contact with Philipine shooters who shoot shotgun matches, and there are a bunch of them, and go look at some of the set ups they use and the gunsmiths available to them.

In my opinion you are not making wise decisions based on what you want to do, and are relying on "internet info", which isn't leading you in a good direction. Take that for what is worth because you read it here in the internet, but unlike many you will interact with I have been doing this type of thing since 1990 or so.

All 3 guns you mention are really good guns, but you are trying to mix and match stuff that simply won't be optimal for your stated use

Edited by kurtm

Thanks kurtm.

Per arredondo site theres already a chute for 1301.

You are probably correct that I should personally interact more with 3g shooters here specially the top guns. I have direct access to some of them, in fact one is helping me out in looking for a unit to buy. But as Ive said this 3g game is brand new here, so while they are much better equipped and skilled than most they are virtually beginners like me. But I can try and heed your advice. I have nothing to lose and lots to gain. :)

Slight thread jack for Kurt, regarding speedloaders vs. quadload: just how fast can a proficient speedloader user load 8 and re shoulder the gun? I know what the quadloading pro can do but I've never seen a speedloaders ran with a stopwatch. Not arguing with you (yet), but your first sentence of the last post has me curious now.

A good speed loader user doesn't drop the gun off their shoulder. I've seen a 2 second load of 6 and a 3.6 second load of 12 which seems faster than a"quad loading pro", but I try not to hang out with those. :)

Argue away Anthony Feline! Your time is nigh!

Edited by kurtm

I really wish I had a good argument for you Kurt, but if your numbers are accurate then it would appear the aforementioned sentence and the claim therein is also accurate.

Let's argue about something else perhaps!

What's better: double bock or a hefeweizen?

Since I really like Bocks and don't care for any of the wheat beir this will not be productive either, but you are welcome to try.

BTW They make 4, 6, and 8 round speed tubes so it can be down right fast to load 8. Jerry can usually keep up with a mag fed shotgun, loading at the shoulder, even if the mag fed shotgun functions well. :lol:

Edited by kurtm

Yea I just saw the video of Jerry doing 1.35s shot to shot with a 4 rnd speedloader in between. The beauty of his technique is that the hand and eye focus is very similar to that of reloading a pistol.

Anyway I think those who stick with quads are those who shoot both in open and practical. You can do both with quads but not with speedloaders. But I dunno either or both really.

Edited by BoyGlock

I have an Open 1301 that was prep'd by Redneck Tactical. Like Kurt said you still have to open the loading port and the Arredondo load chute is simple install..I have not time to practice with it, but I can load 4 in 3 seconds after about 1 hr of playing with it. I know that slow but it will work for me.

Initially for a year or two I intend to train and shoot it as is with just the necessary mods: +x tube extension, speed chute if I go with speedloaders, with or w/out chute the port wil be as is, rail and reddot if my eyes with lens cannot read the bead anymore, chokes, thats all. Being a newbie I think I should give more emphasis on training. Anyway I dont have a smith that can do port mods in shotguns as of now. Maybe in a few years there will be, if 3g picks up pace here in the Philippines.

Eta. I thought with a chute the loading port is good to go out of the box?

Edited by BoyGlock

Training before gear?!? That's a highly unorthodox but potentially effective strategy.

Port work is fairly easy to tackle on your own, just go sloooooooow.

Haha agree its highly unorthodox in our sport. It was my approach when I started in practical pistol at a late age of 43 and kinda liked the results. And now at 56 should I start differently? Hahaha

Thank you for the assurance. Needed that as most shooters go the OTHER way.

Next in line is Taccom +7 Extreme extension tube and barrel clamp. I know Nordic is popular but I prefer Taccom.

Beretta usa has a free shipping promo now til 2/15 so Im eyeing its picatinny rail to mount my Aimpoint micro on.

Also a pair of matchsaverZ.

Thats all for now.

Eta. Add a Taccom 16up quaload MG just in case I want to learn quadloading :)

Edited by BoyGlock

• 1 year later...

To update and somewhat put closure to this thread. After almost a year of waiting, no 1301 arrived. Got SX3 and moved on. Having a blast with it. Light and nimble to handle. Except for one issue on reliability which I think been resolved to date, everything is going great. Everything discussed here applied to the sx3. Installed arredondo speed chute, taccom +9 tube extn, taccom load assist, easyhit reddot, matchsaverz. Now learning and enjoying the gun for 3g. 

Thanks everyone.