Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone seen the Korth L-frame 9mm cylinder?

FWSixgunner

I heard this was unveiled at the Shot Show: a 6-shot 9x19 conversion kit for the S&W L-frame that does not take moon clips.

My response is, huh?

Why would you build a 9mm cylinder that doesn't take moons?

I know it would allow people to shoot cheaper & more plentiful 9mm ammo. But $500 for the kit? You could buy a good reloading outfit for that. It'd take a load of factory 9mm over .38 special to pay for itself.

The "bug-out" crowd seems to be drooling at having a .357/9mm convertible with no clips required.

From what I've seen, Korth makes a proprietary SL.

So, instead of a cylinder that leverages the rimless cartridge, they designed what looks to be a pretty elaborate retractor so it can be shot/extracted wo clips. And if the shooter wants a speed load, they must by an expensive 9mm speedloader (that seems blasphemous.)

Am I missing something here? I can't image a market.

I won't even get in to who/how the fitting is to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I saw it it was sweet. expensive but you will only buy one. lots of people use speed loaders. (ie Classic Division in ICORE). The design solves the ignition/head space problem with moon clipped guns because it head spaces on the case mouth not on the moon clip under the extractor groove.

I would purchase one if i had the need.

There was a test in the German gun mag "Caliber". Result was very promising (Hornady HAP 30mm @ 25m) finish and quality was excellent. As I heard in personal conversation they are planning to make clip version also. Maybe more info after IWA (German "shot show").

The design solves the ignition/head space problem with moon clipped guns

Correct me if i'm wrong , wouldn't the head spacing be more sporadic if it head spaces on the case mouth instead of a moonclip. With a moonclip you can control the headspace, on the case mouth it could be +/- 0.XXXX depending on the length of the case, no ?

The design solves the ignition/head space problem with moon clipped guns

Correct me if i'm wrong , wouldn't the head spacing be more sporadic if it head spaces on the case mouth instead of a moonclip. With a moonclip you can control the headspace, on the case mouth it could be +/- 0.XXXX depending on the length of the case, no ?

I guess if you were dedicated enough to trim ALL your 9mm brass to the same length it'd be consistent, but how many of us do that? Even then you'd have to know what length would be most effective for consistent ignition with whatever spring/firing pin combo you're using and not induce cylinder drag.

They told me that for Police Service the moon clips were too fragile and prone to damage and that they make a speedloader for the cylinder, which is like a HKS with a plunger for all rounds and it is positive into the cylinder. Korth is cutting edge and everything they make is over engineered and pretty impressive.

They told me that for Police Service the moon clips were too fragile and prone to damage and that they make a speedloader for the cylinder, which is like a HKS with a plunger for all rounds and it is positive into the cylinder. Korth is cutting edge and everything they make is over engineered and pretty impressive.

Fair enough. Are there that many overseas LE agencies that issue L-frames?

I just can't imagine there being a large enough market to justify R&D costs.