Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Electronic Scale

Hey guys , I'm using a 650 for my 9 mm and the Dillon electronic scale. My powder is Vih. N320.

I'm having a problem with consistent powder measurements ......while running a ladder test on several different charges , trying a new projectile, having a deviation of .1 +- on my charges.

If im trying to achieve a 3.5 charge it will deviate 3.4/3.6 etc.

The intent of my test was to run charges 3.4-3.6 grns.

I turned off electronic stuff , fan etc.

This N320 meters well......what am I doing wrong??????

How are you dispensing the powder? If you're using a powder measure such as the Dillon one, it's only accurate to within +/- .1 gr, and the scale has the same accuracy level. That's the reason most will throw 10 charges and take the average. If your 10-drops weigh 34.5 to 35.0...........well you get the idea.

Alan~^~

OEM Dillon powder throwers are only good to +/- .1 grains with sugar powders, with corn flake powders, closer to .25 grains. That's why you take an average of at least 10.

Edited by 9x45

Also, try within reason to pull the handle and dump ten charges close to your normal reloading speed. Waiting more than a few seconds and hem hawing around between pulls will cause charges to easily fluctuate.

I drop 3 charges and dump each back into the hopper then drop ten charges at a reasonably smooth consistent pace. I don't even wait to watch the scale to settle between drops.

Make sure the handle gies all the way down and all the way back as if seating a primer. This gets s good complete reset of the hopper every time

Thanks to all for this sage advice.......i've been running 3-4 charges through and then attempting a measured charge.

It sounds like the average of 10 charges sounds like the most logical approach........and by the way......if you have ever left a charge on the scale ......you will see the measurements start to vary !!!..This really threw me for a loop...now I just use the initial reading....Correct??

Don't use a weight displayed on a digital scale that has been on the scale for more than a couple of minutes. Most digital scales have auto zeroing built in the firmware, that's what is happening when you see a weight display drifting after being on the scale for a while...its trying to zero its self.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Thanks to all for this sage advice.......i've been running 3-4 charges through and then attempting a measured charge.

It sounds like the average of 10 charges sounds like the most logical approach........and by the way......if you have ever left a charge on the scale ......you will see the measurements start to vary !!!..This really threw me for a loop...now I just use the initial reading....Correct??

All correct.