Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mentally Not In The Game.

Sac Law Man

At our local IDPA matches, each squad SO/ARO's itself. This generally translates into the same two or three guys running everyone (usually 12-13 shooters) through then trying to shoot the stage themselves. I have noticed I tend to always be one of those two or three..When it comes time for me to shoot, I am not in the game. Although I have seen the stage shot numerous times, I have not visualizied or mentally prepared myself to shoot. This leads to mental mistakes and less than acceptable performances. Does anyone else experience something similiar?

Yup. Which is why it's only fair to have all the RO's/SO's/Other help shoot a major match on the day prior to the rest of the competitors.

And don't take this the wrong way, but part of it seems to be inexperience too. The more experienced shooters don't seem to be bothered by this nearly as much. I still don't have a lot of match experience, so I find myself more rattled by all the hustle and bustle.

I haven't really noticed a difference, I shoot like ass in matches where I'm not SO'ing and shoot like ass when I am.

All told, I think I'd almost rather be working. It keeps my mind occupied. My major problem isn't so much not having enough time to think, it's having too much time and freaking myself out. :)

- Gabe

Time past, it made a huge difference. If I RO'd before shooting, my performance would stink.

The past few years I've shot some of my best matches after taking my turn with the timer.

It might have something to do with that experience thing. My theory is that when I was younger, RO'ing got me wound up, now it tires me enough to take the edge off. :D

Doesn't seem to be much of an issue for me as long as I can hand-off the timer or clip board a couple of shooters prior to me shooting. As long as I can do that I can clear my mind and rethink what I need to do before I shoot.

Yeah...it can get to you. After all, you end up on your feet all day, when others might get to sit a bit more.

When I tell myself that it is part of the game, and that I am not going to let it effect my shooting, that seems to help.

(I have the same attitude about reshoots, they happen, we have to except them, and make the most out of the situation.)

My RO cert has expired but back when I did a lot of it I found that running guys thru a big field course was the best thing I could do for my muscles and energy level and so on. You do need a little more sunscreen to be doing that is all.

The second best thing is to sit in the shade while the shooter is going at it and then jump up and tape targets as soon as they say Range Is Safe.

Not so great is sitting and never getting up. Muscles feel rested but energy drops & you're a complete b*****d to do that for more than one shooter anyway.

Worst thing for me personally was to stand around the whole match: Not sit down, not run out to set steel, not RO, just stand a lot. That took me right out of any sort of athletic posture altogether.

Now my back is a constant problem so I settle for Option 2 mostly. I think my mind would be sharper if I did more ROing.

• 2 weeks later...