Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rapid Trim on LnL Case Variance

Poseidon215

Ok so I just got my RT1500 all set up on my LnL and I have been trying to dial it in to trim to 1.75 but I cannot get any consistency no matter what I try.

Currently my die setup is

Station 1 - Decap

Station 2 - open

Station 3 - Trim/Size

Station 4 - Open

Station 5 - Open

I am getting anywhere from 1.740 to 1.755 which seems excessive to have 15 thousands variance. What is considered acceptable? Is anyone else running a similar setup or have any hints top tricks they have learned along the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I just got my RT1500 all set up on my LnL and I have been trying to dial it in to trim to 1.75 but I cannot get any consistency no matter what I try.

Currently my die setup is

Station 1 - Decap

Station 2 - open

Station 3 - Trim/Size

Station 4 - Open

Station 5 - Open

I am getting anywhere from 1.740 to 1.755 which seems excessive to have 15 thousands variance. What is considered acceptable? Is anyone else running a similar setup or have any hints top tricks they have learned along the way?

On my XL650, I see approximately +-0.03" variance. Are you sorting your brass by headstamp and processing them in batches? Is your LNL properly adjusted? How much play is there in your LNL? I know I have very little play in my shell plate and head of my 650 when I process .223 brass.

For better consistency I would use a full length size\decap in station one. Set it to size the brass about 75% of the way, and then finish the sizing in the trim die. It will allow for even movement of the ram and keep the platform from tilting differently, especially when running unsorted brass. Also, do not run different head stamps if you want to get the length consistency more to your liking. Sorting sux, but it will help a lot. I sort to 2 or 3 different head stamps that work for longer range brass, then all the rest goes in a bucket for use as up close hoser brass, when I run that I know it will not be consistent. Also, liberal use of a lanolin based sizing lube will help a lot too.

Jmho...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

+1 on sorting by headstamp --if you care-- about trim length (and case volume) consistency.

There is a certain amount of +/- slop within any given batch of same headstamp batches. The amount of slop varies by headstamp and batch.

The baseline difference from your 1.750" target will vary for any given headstamp. You can tune this a bit for that headstamp and get the batch running +/- 1.750" vs. (for example) +/-1.746" or +/- 1.754".

Of course sorting by headstamp is a pain, and this process is overkill for blasting ammo.

Edited by Beastly

Personally I'd just run the whole batch of brass through the trimmer. After I tumbled the trimmed brass... then I would sort the brass. I'd pick out the head stamp(s) that I want to use for my long range load and use the rest for hoser ammo using a mid-range charge.

I do a slight taper crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD). With a taper crimp a consistent trim to length isn't as crucial than if you roll crimped into the cannelure. And if your trim die's neck is as tight as mine... you probably don't really need to crimp.

I think all the Dillon size/trim dies leave a pretty tight neck - works for me. Little chance of setback and I agree crimp optional - depending or example on whether/how much you opened up the neck for seating flat base bullets.