Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Range Officer Operator 9mm

steviesterno

The 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debate on lethality has been busted for quite some time. Get some good Hornady critical defense or Win PDX and you are good to go. Shot placement is what matters far more than size of the flying lead. Plenty of bad guys have taken multiple .45's and kept on doing what bad guys do. The "stopping power" is BS also. :cheers:. But at the OP, nice guns for sure. My buddy just got one in .45 and it shot great. Took a few hundred rounds for it to loosen up enough to run reliably, but after that it was spot on.

Don't know where you got the idea that my comment had anything to do with stopping power. 9mm 1911s are finicky; I would know, as I shoot mine regularly. The 1911 action is too long for the 9mm or .40 cartridges for self defense. The EMP is the solution--a shorter action designed to be a 9mm or .40 length. A 100% reliable 9mm 1911 is great, and the EMP is the answer. For competition, I'm perfectly happy with my full length action 1911 with round bullets. But I don't carry it on the street, and I wouldn't!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debate on lethality has been busted for quite some time. Get some good Hornady critical defense or Win PDX and you are good to go. Shot placement is what matters far more than size of the flying lead. Plenty of bad guys have taken multiple .45's and kept on doing what bad guys do. The "stopping power" is BS also. :cheers:. But at the OP, nice guns for sure. My buddy just got one in .45 and it shot great. Took a few hundred rounds for it to loosen up enough to run reliably, but after that it was spot on.

Don't know where you got the idea that my comment had anything to do with stopping power. 9mm 1911s are finicky; I would know, as I shoot mine regularly. The 1911 action is too long for the 9mm or .40 cartridges for self defense. The EMP is the solution--a shorter action designed to be a 9mm or .40 length. A 100% reliable 9mm 1911 is great, and the EMP is the answer. For competition, I'm perfectly happy with my full length action 1911 with round bullets. But I don't carry it on the street, and I wouldn't!

I already have one of the range officer champions in 9mm, and it's run 100% for me. I ran low power reloads and SD loads as it was stock,and no problems. then I had it tri-topped and the barrel cut down and it still runs perfectly, even without changing spring weight. Maybe I got lucky or maybe the "9mm doesn't work in 1911" problem has been busted along with the "3" 45s don't run".

as far as a single stack for HD, I'm cool with it. I prefer the 1911 pattern and shoot it best, and I would personally rather have 11 rounds of decent ammo that I could shoot well. That's why I switched to the ROC. it's about the same size as a GLock 19, and heavier. But with the good trigger and sights and years of experience behind a 1911, I know I can make a good hit at distance in a pinch. It's worth giving up rounds, to me at least.

Ahh ok gotcha. And yea the 9mm 1911s can be tricky. That said, my 9mm sti trojan has been just as reliable as my glock 34. Maybe even more so. I would not hesitate to carry that particular gun in a defensive or HD situation. But i have 20k rounds or so through it so i know the gun. Would i carry a new 9mm 1911, no... would i carry a new glock with a box of rounds through it to check function and sight? Yes. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

" 9mm 1911s are finicky; I would know, as I shoot mine regularly"

And the earth is flat, the moon is made of cheese, an Aliens are visiting us.

I would say it's the gun, not the round - but I don't shoot mine enough to be sure (sarc off).

Edited by Rimcrew

My thought is that a 9mm 1911 is an absolutely terrible choice for home defense. I wish they'd up-scale the EMP to full size; I'd buy that in a minute! I will take mine with a rail and steel frame in 5" and aluminum 4.25 without rail for a little bigger carry gun than the 3". The latter they already make in 4" as of this year; here's to hoping they come out with a steel frame 5" soon!

That's the same thing I've been thinking. I even emailed Springfield and let them know it would be an awesome product if they would offer full-size and compact versions in 9 and 40.

Maybe if enough people let them know, they'll start doing it. I even hinted at a 2011 shorted up like the emp, but I doubt that would happen.

My thought is that a 9mm 1911 is an absolutely terrible choice for home defense. I wish they'd up-scale the EMP to full size; I'd buy that in a minute! I will take mine with a rail and steel frame in 5" and aluminum 4.25 without rail for a little bigger carry gun than the 3". The latter they already make in 4" as of this year; here's to hoping they come out with a steel frame 5" soon!

That's the same thing I've been thinking. I even emailed Springfield and let them know it would be an awesome product if they would offer full-size and compact versions in 9 and 40.

Maybe if enough people let them know, they'll start doing it. I even hinted at a 2011 shorted up like the emp, but I doubt that would happen.

I would be absolutely in favor of both. The EMP being scaled to both a double stack and to a full size single stack gun would be absolutely awesome.

Those of you who are fine with carrying a stock-length action 1911 on the street, so be it. I would not. An 1/8" jump to the chamber is an awfully long way.

I shot two matches this weekend with my 9mm 1911 and it is a joy to shoot, but it is a target gun. A full size EMP would not be though! In fact, if the EMP was available in various sizes and railed/non railed and single and double stack, I'd probably have no use for any of my other centerfire pistols at all.

Edited by twodownzero

I would be absolutely in favor of both. The EMP being scaled to both a double stack and to a full size single stack gun would be absolutely awesome.

Those of you who are fine with carrying a stock-length action 1911 on the street, so be it. I would not. An 1/8" jump to the chamber is an awfully long way.

I shot two matches this weekend with my 9mm 1911 and it is a joy to shoot, but it is a target gun. A full size EMP would not be though! In fact, if the EMP was available in various sizes and railed/non railed and single and double stack, I'd probably have no use for any of my other centerfire pistols at all.

Also the ejection port is the same as a normal 1911, so you have lots of room there, as well as, the same barrels as 1911's.

I had a post a while back asking about if anyone thought it would be a good idea to make a shorted up 2011 for 9mm case length and nobody seemed to like it. I think it would be the bomb. For competition, it wouldn't matter as much, but for carry/defense guns it would.

Edited by Hammerman

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: The Dawson Ice gap magwell or IPSC magwell with the aluminum mainspring housing will get you there. Ergo flat bottom grips are the lightest I have seen so far. The Tripp magazine with the plastic base pad will fit the IPSC magwell and it will be the lightest setup. This is for a 9mm. Thanks, Eric

The RO made it back from the gunsmith with all new egw parts... Now I have to find a lightweight grip/magwell combo to stay under the 43oz limit uspsa imposes on single stack.

http://www.dsperman.com/products/1920OF/1920OF.html

If you like a 2011 grip to fill your hand and have an integrated mag well these are amazing. You have to fit it but it is not hard and worth the time. I can get you a weight if you want. I have a set.

Hello: Tri topping is legal for single stack division and is a good way to lighten the slide. No perforations are allowed in the slide. You can also cut under the grip area as well to lighten it up some. I am still thinking of getting one to see if I can make weight with it. It will take some milling but think I can get it down. Although my 9mm stainless loaded is a pretty sweet shooter right now with 124's. Thanks, Eric

Sorry guys, I guess I was mistaken about tri-topping being illegal. I was thinking about the statement:

"Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, or slots, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited,"

I personally don't understand how tri-cutting is not a 'cut that is designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide" but I guess that's outside the scope of this thread.

Similarly, under the Prohibited Modifications list, it states "Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any milling deemed to provide a competitive advantage."

Edited by StraightSh00ter

I know it's just a food scale, so it's not the most accurate. Here's my RO Operator waiting in at 42oz with a factory mag in it.

Hello: You will still need a magwell and a magazine with a base pad. It looks like it is doable to make weight with tri-topping, under grip material removal and some weight taken out in the inside. That is interesting on the weight since others said they weighted there 9mm Operator and it was 48ozs. Is yours a 45 perhaps? Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...