Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer Plate/Bearing upgrade possible issue...

So I ordered the extended bearing plate/ball bearing upgrade deal that so many 550 users have been raving about, and installed it this weekend. The instructions stated to push the plate flush up against the frame, but on my press when I do that I get a slight rub from the pin the spring catches on when the bar slides back into position. I had to actually move the plate slightly out at an angle to prevent the pin from rubbing. Everything appears to be working fine, but not sure if I just got a plate that might out of spec/alignment, or if my press, being it's an older model, might not line up the same as the newer models, or other issue? The press runs and primes with no issue, so may be a non-issue - just wanted to be sure I'm not setting myself up for some other issue later...

Thanks...

post-62463-0-48180200-1453165018_thumb.j

So I ordered the extended bearing plate/ball bearing upgrade deal that so many 550 users have been raving about, and installed it this weekend. The instructions stated to push the plate flush up against the frame, but on my press when I do that I get a slight rub from the pin the spring catches on when the bar slides back into position. I had to actually move the plate slightly out at an angle to prevent the pin from rubbing. Everything appears to be working fine, but not sure if I just got a plate that might out of spec/alignment, or if my press, being it's an older model, might not line up the same as the newer models, or other issue? The press runs and primes with no issue, so may be a non-issue - just wanted to be sure I'm not setting myself up for some other issue later...

Thanks...

I have sent you an personal message.

Thank you,

Jeff

I installed this item and had nothing but problems with it. It made the primer slide so jerky that the primers would bounce out before reaching the shell plate.

It was with all new primer slides and primer housings.

Bottom line I really think it is a very good product!

My machine just didn't seem to like it.

Edited by aug1911

I bought one of the 1st generation models of the plate and didn't like the finish on it too much. I wet sanded it with a fine grit sandpaper and used some metal polish on it till it was a mirror finish. I also polished up the bottom of the primer slide and installed it using powdered graphite. It runs silky smooth and I love it! Never a problem.

I installed this item and had nothing but problems with it. It made the primer slide so jerky that the primers would bounce out before reaching the shell plate.

It was with all new primer slides and primer housings.

Bottom line I really think it is a very good product!

My machine just didn't seem to like it.

I totally hate when my 550 pukes primers too. If my Op Rod Bracket is slightly off, it goes stupid, so I have to make sure that it is parallel with the primer slide as it moves back and forth.

Jeff contacted me via PM, I'm going to send him some more pics of the plate in normal and tilted positions, etc so he can see exactly what I'm referring to. Will update the thread when we have more info... Pretty impressed that he contact me directly so quickly. :).

Thanks,
Mark

i also had the primer jerk, popping out issue with my 550b. i called dillon and asked about this a few yrs ago and again recently. (longer primer bearing upgrade). he adamantly told me that this upgrade does not help the problem. i have followed every trick and adjustment dillon recommended with little improvement until i installed a new plate dillon had sent me years earlier. smooth operation again. i am going to make a longer plate and give it a shot.

Just to update the thread, talked to (well, emailed back and forth) with Jeff, took it all down once more and put it back together, and was able to get everything aligned normally. Hard to say for sure but it likely just plain old operator error, in that I think I must have had the bearing to tight up against the bar...

My 550 is thirty years old, the extended primer slide with bearing is one of the neatest products I've seen for it.

Picture shows it set to tight at the bearing causing a misalignment.

The Primer flap, went by ace and bought a bag of carter pins that fit, made sure there was correct clearance

and epoxied a penny to the part that moves, makes it easier to open.

Use powdered graphite as a lube on the slide, get it in the Lock Dept at HW store.