Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time at Area 2. Suggestions?

Andy0313

I figured this would go better in the beginner section than the match thread. I set an alarm so I managed to get into the Area 2 match in March. I have shot local club matches but this is my first high level match and I'm looking for advice for a first timer. Some specific questions:

What time to show up Thursday for check in? Is there an advantage to getting there early? I'm leaving CA on Thursday but I'm trying to determine when.

How is parking at the range?

Any recommendations on how long before start time I should plan on arriving?

What is the range surface? Sand, hard pack, gravel? Thinking of what shoes to bring...

Any other adviCr for a first timer?

lots of people have A2 match videos on youtube so you can get an idea of the range and its surface. i wore cleats last year.

parking is easy and a very large lot.

get there as early as you can thursday. give yourself all the time you need to rece the range, the stages. anythign to reduce nerves.

arrive the day you shoot at 630am or 2 hours before your start time.. more stage walking time. less sitting and stewing.

I leave early Thursday morning. It should take you around 4-5 hours to get there. I like to swing by Dillon and pick up anything I need. After going by Dillon I go to the range to check in and start checking out the stages.

Parking isn't a problem. If you start 1st thing Friday morning then I would get there 30 minutes early. Once the sun starts peeking out the RO's will get it going. If you start Friday afternoon then I would get there a few hours early and watch squads shoot the stages You will be starting on.

Surfaces are --- Stages 1 thru 4 and 10 thru 12 is like Norco. Stages 5 thru 9 is like pala

The venders tent is outstanding so bring your CC.

Awesome, thank you!

Rowdy, I hope there's a lot of dropouts so I can get beat by you in AZ as well as Pala. And Charles, my CC is already screaming in pain...

Edited by Andy0313

Definately layers. Heck one year it even snowed out there. But the afternoons are pretty comfortable.

They have a lot of parking available and even set up a handicap area towards the top of the range. The vendor's tent is large so get there early enough to look around.

I leave early Thursday morning. It should take you around 4-5 hours to get there. I like to swing by Dillon and pick up anything I need. After going by Dillon I go to the range to check in and start checking out the stages.

Parking isn't a problem. If you start 1st thing Friday morning then I would get there 30 minutes early. Once the sun starts peeking out the RO's will get it going. If you start Friday afternoon then I would get there a few hours early and watch squads shoot the stages You will be starting on.

Surfaces are --- Stages 1 thru 4 and 10 thru 12 is like Norco. Stages 5 thru 9 is like pala

Can you describe the range surface for those of us that have never been to Norco or Pala?

Can you describe the range surface for those of us that have never been to Norco or Pala?

1-4 and 10-12 are like Vegas, 5-9 like St. George :devil:

ETA : 1-4/10-12 are very hard packed desert, 5-9 not so hard packed (a bit more dust). In all fairness, St George is a tad more dusty and Vegas has bigger gravel. Expect some degree of dust and it is usually a good idea/mandatory to clean mags that have been dropped.

Edited by ChuckS

Not funny.

Ok. A little funny.

Not funny.

Ok. A little funny.

I thought so. The non-smart ass answer has been added above...

• 3 weeks later...