Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help deciding

Hello. I'm in the process of deciding on a reloading press. I will be starting out reloading 9mm and 32 Winchester Special and more then likely grow from there. As far as price, I can't spend crazy amount on it. Would like to be in the $300/$350ish range, but want a good one that'll last as well. What do y'all recommend? I've been looking at the lee classic turret press and this morning started looking at the Redding line. Any opinions on those two or others? Thanks!

"Protected by Shield"

I have a Lee Classic Turret that fits that price range. I'm happy with it. At 250 rounds per hour, it's not as fast as the progressives (which exceed your price range), but it does make good ammo and it does so pretty reliably.

Plus, I'm not the handiest guy on the planet and the Classic Turret really seems to minimize what I call "fiddle time" -- the time wasted messing around with a press instead of making ammo with it.

Good luck!

What ever it is... start with it being a Dillon. I know that sounds like just blind loyalty but I'd tell any of my friends the same and that's the only place I buy reloaders now.

I had a couple of lee presses when I first started. They worked okay, but just not in the same league.

I've had my Dillon's for over 20 years and stuff will break or wear out... and when it does....they send you a replacement part FREE. REALLY FREE, no shipping, no fuss, no excuses. I had the micro switch die on my case feeder last month, sent them an email and had the replacement switch in few days.

A "Square Deal" may do what you need. The 550B is a work horse that is VERY easy to change calibers on.

Start here:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

I will be starting out reloading 9mm and 32 Winchester Special and more then likely grow from there. As far as price, I can't spend crazy amount on it. Would like to be in the $300/$350ish range,

If that is "all in" price you might be looking in the right direction.

What ever it is... start with it being a Dillon. I know that sounds like just blind loyalty but I'd tell any of my friends the same and that's the only place I buy reloaders now.

I had a couple of lee presses when I first started. They worked okay, but just not in the same league.

I've had my Dillon's for over 20 years and stuff will break or wear out... and when it does....they send you a replacement part FREE. REALLY FREE, no shipping, no fuss, no excuses. I had the micro switch die on my case feeder last month, sent them an email and had the replacement switch in few days.

A "Square Deal" may do what you need. The 550B is a work horse that is VERY easy to change

Great info in that link.. Thanks!!!

"Protected by Shield"

a reloading press for 9mm and 32 Winchester Special

Depends on how many rounds of each you will reload each month/year?

And, how much time you have to reload??? :cheers:

To be honest.. I really don't know. If I had to guess I'd say around 400/500 a month and that'll be a stretch.

"Protected by Shield"

If you reload 100 rounds/week, you can use Anything.

You didn't say how much time/week you have to devote

to reloading?

Or, how many rounds of 9mm vs .32? :cheers:

Sorry, I want to reload 500 range of 9mm and 100 or so of .32. I don't shoot the .32 very often. As far as time a week... I'd have 2-3 hours to devote sometimes more.

"Protected by Shield"

Just have to reload 30 rounds/hour - you can definitely use

Anything - good single stage press is good - not a SDB if'

you're going to reload rifle. :cheers:

What's SDB? Sorry.. Not familiar with all terms yet[emoji51]

"Protected by Shield"

It's one of Dillon's least expensive reloading presses.

Edited by Tom S.

Just have to reload 30 rounds/hour - you can definitely use

Anything - good single stage press is good - not a SDB if'

you're going to reload rifle. :cheers:

What's SDB? Sorry.. Not familiar with all terms yet[emoji51]

"Protected by Shield"

It's Dillon's bottom of the line reloading press.

Gotcha. Thanks for all the info... Greatly appreciated!!

"Protected by Shield"

I agree with the "buy a single stage" first, if you are not going straight to a progressive. Otherwise, just go to a progressive. I went red and got a Hornady LNL that I love. The blue folks will say the same about their blue presses.

If you get a single-stage press and have any desire to load some large cal rifles in the future, it's worthwhile to buy a press that can suite it now. i.e., .338 lapua mag, etc.

Not to assume anything about your plans or you knowledge so don't be offended. The press is the main thing as it is the actual tool that does most of the work. But if you are starting out and have no other handloading stuff the press is one of many things that will be needed and cost money.

I know that there are some who do this on a very limited budget but in my opinion and based on my experience if you want to handload you will need about $500.00 to get started with a basic setup. Sure there things that you can scrimp on but as a beginner who may not have an exact knowledge or skill set you will be doing yourself a great favor by getting all of the basic tools and enough consumables right from the start so that you don't have to improvise and your not looking at your bench but cannot make any ammo because you don't have powder or primers.

If you price out all of the items needed to buy the Dillon SDB right here on BE it will end up costing over $750.00 for the hardware then you will need at least a pound of powder, primers and bullets so figure another $100.00 so that's $850.00 Sure the press will probably outlast you and any progressive will be faster but fast costs money.

You can get everything you need using Lee or others but Lee is less expensive and slower and not as nice but it works. But as stated to get all the things you will need even with a Lee turret press will cost about $500.00 give or take. BTW I'm not a big fan of Lee and I'm not in the firearms industry in any way. If you belong to a club it might be a good idea to ask around to see if anyone how handloads would be willing to show you their set up and give you an idea how things are done. I would not recommend a Lee progressive for a beginner though. Single Stage or Turret press yes, progressive no.

You will also need a place to handload, a suitable bench and a place to store your stuff. Most gun related internet forums have a place where handloaders post pictures of their set up. There is one on this forum but it's not a sticky, so look for these. You can easily find simple to complex and everything in between and they are a great place to get ideas. I hope I'm not discouraging you as I was in your situation not too long ago and now all I shoot is ammo that comes from my bench.

Here is the thread on this site for pictures but there are many other forums that have literally 1000s of bench pictures that are not as Dillon heavy and thus as expensive for the beginner http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203122

Edited by firewood

A "Square Deal" may do what you need. The 550B is a work horse that is VERY easy to change

Great info in that link.. Thanks!!!

"Protected by Shield"

I did the Lee thing years ago and loaded a bunch of ammo on it... All I remember about it is it had this twisted indexing rod that broke about every 1000 rounds. It was a weak point in the design and it cost me $10 and a week of down time. Guys that don't load a lot may try to paint this as a "Red Press vs. Blue Press" thing... It really not a contest, the Dillon's are truly just plain better. If you were a buddy of mine, I'd tell you the same. I don't make a nickel on any of it! LOL!!! Just want to help somebody avoid the frustration of some of the other presses. If you go read the Dillon forum here you'll see lots of posts that go " Man I can't believe I waited so long to sell my XXX press and get a Dillon"

Buy once, cry once. :D

Edited by Chutist

• 4 weeks later...

I started out with one of those Lee handloading kits for 357. The kind without a press that you use a mallet. Then got an RCBS single stage press. Then years later when I got into competitive shooting I ended up buying 4 Dillon presses. 3 SDB's and a 650. I gave my two sons each a SDB. The other is still mounted on my bench and is reserved for 460 Rowland and 45 LC. Everything else is done on the 650.

The LEE is an excellent way to get started in reloading for a minimal investment. I've got several friends that use Lee progressives and they suit them just fine. For the price range you are stating you can be up and running with a Lee or Hornady setup. I am TRUE BLUE though. If you have the money you will never regret investing in a Dillon. It is a lifetime investment to be passed down for generations.

hi,

you are in a forum that is blue territory, you will hear about dillon.

the price you state for a press will get you a used progressive

and if you are new to reloading you may find it both daunting and frustrating to pick that path.

Or..

you can get a turret press and live with that and you will learn how to reload...

with a minimum volume of frustration...

I could get about 50 rounds done in about 15 minutes with one...

and I would find I'd have to hunt a tossed primer

or lube the primer fork/plunger or such

and one gets used to it.

... the 650 I scrimped and saved to get...

oh heaven!

learn on the turret. it will always be useful.

you will save money on the turret. save in a bank, the difference

at some point you will pay for the turret... keep saving.

when you need volumes of ammo.

get a progressive and I can state the 650 works like a clock.

miranda

I would get a Redding Big Boss II single stage press to simply get started. It has an AWESOME deprimer system that drops the spent primers through the ram into a collection bin. This keeps the press clean when depriming. I currently use a hornady classic single stage press for precision rifle, load development and depriming that gets SUPER gummed up from the primer debris, (which has lead in it). All the crap that comes out of the primer pocket means you have to clean and lube the ram every 500 pieces of brass or so. I deprime on the single stage because the primers leave a significant amount of debris behind when you punch them out and I hated cleaning my Dillon 550. If you go single stage (or even a turret) you will eventually want a Dillon 650 but keep the single stage as you will appreciate it for small volume rifle and load development.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271710/redding-big-boss-ii-single-stage-reloading-press.

I would get a Redding Big Boss II single stage press to simply get started. It has an AWESOME deprimer system that drops the spent primers through the ram into a collection bin. This keeps the press clean when depriming. I currently use a hornady classic single stage press for precision rifle, load development and depriming that gets SUPER gummed up from the primer debris, (which has lead in it). All the crap that comes out of the primer pocket means you have to clean and lube the ram every 500 pieces of brass or so. I deprime on the single stage because the primers leave a significant amount of debris behind when you punch them out and I hated cleaning my Dillon 550. If you go single stage (or even a turret) you will eventually want a Dillon 650 but keep the single stage as you will appreciate it for small volume rifle and load development.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/271710/redding-big-boss-ii-single-stage-reloading-press.

Nebwake. What about the Redding T-7? Can be used as a single stage, but have to capability to do a little higher volume as well. I've also looked at the Lee classic turret. I'm holding out for a Dillon or Hornady progressive when I'm ready for that jump.

"Protected by Shield"