Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major 9 OAL

jellyb

What is your OAL running major 9 out of an STI or SV? Using STI mags with SC spacers. I run 1.165 PD jhp's and occasionally get stuck in the magazine. What is the shortest I should or can load to? I am thinking about trying 1.160. All input is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jellyb

Edited by jellyb

I think you should load as long as your chamber and mags allow as long as you have no issues with setback. That'll help keep the initial pressure spike down as much as possible.

I run SV mags. 125 zeros at 1.19" and 1.2" with 124 MG's. With bulkier powders, IE compressed load, I load them slightly longer.

Using STI mags with SC spacers. I run 1.165 PD jhp's and occasionally get stuck in the magazine.

I use STI mags with spacers and have loaded out to 1.175" without any problem -

not sure why you'd have them get "stuck in the mag"?

Could it be the mag?

To answer your question, though, I run 124 gr MG JHP's at 1.165", but have run

them as low as 1.145" and they work fine - so you can shorten them up quite a

bit as long as you check the chrono and work up slowly after you drop a few

.1 grains of powder - shouldn't be a problem, but I'd look at the mags first. :cheers:

I just loaded some N 105 at 1.20 to see if it can be done... I'm having nose dives in my 140mm so I hope this fixes it! I'm at my press now. 5bac50609f64a1d9944708d94270c7c1.jpg61635b61be331b4ca8b52a5e8fb74950.jpg

When I loaded to 1.18" I had a bullet separate from the case

as it loaded into the chamber -dropping powder and the bullet.

You might want to push and pull a few of those 1.2" ers and make

sure you can't pull the bullets out by hand ....

When I loaded to 1.18" I had a bullet separate from the case

as it loaded into the chamber -dropping powder and the bullet.

You might want to push and pull a few of those 1.2" ers and make

sure you can't pull the bullets out by hand ....

It depends on the length/weight of the bullet.

With 124 gr MG JHP's, 1.2" isn't an issue.

With a shorter bullet like a 115 or 121, you might have some issues at that length.

I run a different platform, but run 9mm major at 1.155 with 115's and HS6 without issue. My magazines limit my oal more than you guys with steel guns, but 3500 rounds so far through my glock open gun without issue with this oal at 170-171pf.

I just loaded some N 105 at 1.20 to see if it can be done... I'm having nose dives in my 140mm so I hope this fixes it! I'm at my press now. 5bac50609f64a1d9944708d94270c7c1.jpg61635b61be331b4ca8b52a5e8fb74950.jpg

Your asking for trouble. N105 will not make major. A 9 case will barely hold a projectile at 1.185. You are really compressing the powder and the powder will PUSH the bullet higher in the case after they are loaded. Even if you could do it-most 9 chambers will not allow a 9 loaded that long. I bet you can pull the bullet out of the case with your fingers once loaded. Not good!

I started tinkering with a N105 9mm load and I was so far from major with my starting load I didn't have urgency to pursue it. The rounds I tested were loaded to 1.195" with 124 grain MG's. They functioned. I think the key is to completely minimize the flare. I flared so little that it required guiding the bullet into the seating die with my hand and no crimp was needed to get the neck to final dimensions or pass a case gauge.

I've definitely seen some flare so much that seating that long would have nearly no neck tension and I imagine that would be bad.

The bulk of my 9mm major loads have been with HS-6 in the 1.165" range with 115's and 1.175" range with 124's. No issues from those lengths thus far. Standard SVI Ultimatch barrel.

Ya my go to is hs6 under a 115. I really like it. I read someone had success with 105 but I don't see it. It will be fun for steel but I can't see getting enough in it. Even if I could get 9.5g to compress and seat, idk if it would hit major. What did your data get to?

So far no issues. I don't think I'll make major with N105 but if I can get close it will be fun for steel. I'm picking up some spacers now anyway. I have to fix my nosedive issue.

If steel is your objective....you don't need to fill the case and scrape the excess to level the top of the case... :lol:

Sorry for the thread drift but n105 will make major with a 124/125 grain bullet. I did it with a shorty with 4 poppleholes (Brazos Pro SX) and it was 169+ PF. I could have gotten a couple more tenths in the case, also.

If you don't have bbl holes and/or longer bbl, you won't have any issues making major.

Ya my go to is hs6 under a 115. I really like it. I read someone had success with 105 but I don't see it. It will be fun for steel but I can't see getting enough in it. Even if I could get 9.5g to compress and seat, idk if it would hit major. What did your data get to?

A long time ago....hs smith did a lot of testing with n105.... He posted 5.4 KKM barrel at 169 PF with 10.8 gn, 115 at 1.195 OAL. With a 115 JHP you have more room in the case. I remember he noted that the cases would not grip the bullet enough to be reliable. The bullet would shift in the mag etc.