Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I install sights or send them to CGW

LeviSS

I've installed sights on a Glock with a sight pusher. I don't have a pusher for CZ. I've got a vice and soft clamps.

The sights that are on my SP-01 Tactical are the factory tritium sights.

I'm looking at the CGW sights. They will install them for about $25, but then I have to ship my slide to them. I'm worried then that they may not be exactly sighted in at distance and they might need a little adjusting by me anyway.

Should I try to put them on myself? How hard is it?

Installation is not the problem. Removing the rear sights installed by the factory is! Some of those buggers are really in there.

It took me a 4# hammer and a steel punch to remove the factory rear from my pre-b. Love the dawson/cgw rear sight, and have one to install on my 85c, but I just haven't worked up the fortitude to deal with removing the factory rear.

It took me a 4# hammer and a steel punch to remove the factory rear from my pre-b. Love the dawson/cgw rear sight, and have one to install on my 85c, but I just haven't worked up the fortitude to deal with removing the factory rear.

This. Good grief this. If you don't have a vice, let someone else deal with the torment, and pay them to do so. I did this twice and I'm out of the rear sight removal business on CZ's.

This. Good grief this. If you don't have a vice, let someone else deal with the torment, and pay them to do so. I did this twice and I'm out of the rear sight removal business on CZ's.

That makes me a little nervous.

That makes me a little nervous.

It's doable, but ill probably send the 85 to cgw to do, or run it over to him one day.

I'm looking at the CGW sights. They will install them for about $25, but then I have to ship my slide to them. I'm worried then that they may not be exactly sighted in at distance and they might need a little adjusting by me anyway.

I'm working through a little frustration with CGW on sights right now.

I installed their "050-390 Correct OEM F/O Front Sight" in place of an oem front sight that hit point of aim at 20 yards. Both sights measured 0.215" top to bottom, but the CGW sight (made for them by Dawson precision) sits lower in the slide that the OEM which resulted in point of impact raising about 2.5" at 20 yards.

I figured I would fix the problem by getting a 0.025" taller Dawson so I ordered their 0.240" sight. When I received the Dawson sight it was obvious that they measure sight height as the height dimension above the dovetail instead of the total height dimension including the dovetail as is used by CGW and CZ OEM.

I now have a 0.175" Dawson on order that I hope will be equivalent in height above the slide to the 0.215 OEM, but I am $86.00 into this thing (CGW sight + Dawson sight + return shipping to Dawson) and I am not yet positive that things will be rosy .

So and therefore, extra $'s for an adjustable rear sight is a more attractive option than it may at first seem, if the OP is fussy like I am about POI matching POA (and sometimes it sucks to be me) .

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I installed their "050-390 Correct OEM F/O Front Sight" in place of an oem front sight that hit point of aim at 20 yards. Both sights measured 0.215" top to bottom, but the CGW sight (made for them by Dawson precision) sits lower in the slide that the OEM which resulted in point of impact raising about 2.5" at 20 yards.

I figured I would fix the problem by getting a 0.025" taller Dawson so I ordered their 0.240" sight. When I received the Dawson sight it was obvious that they measure sight height as the height dimension above the dovetail instead of the total height dimension including the dovetail as is used by CGW and CZ OEM.

I now have a 0.175" Dawson on order that I hope will be equivalent in height above the slide to the 0.215 OEM, but I am $86.00 into this thing (CGW sight + Dawson sight + return shipping to Dawson) and I am not yet positive that things will be rosy .

So and therefore, extra $'s for an adjustable rear sight is a more attractive option than it may at first seem, if the OP is fussy like I am about POI matching POA (and sometimes it sucks to be me) .

What bullet weight?

What bullet weight?

147's , exact same load recipe used for all testing .

What bullet weight?

147's , exact same load recipe used for all testing .

My CZ's are zeroed for 124's from the factory, and 147's hit high. My buddy had to get a taller site for his shadow to get 147's to zero.

I am. Whats a good adjustable sight? I've read people were having problems with the hajo.

I am. Whats a good adjustable sight? I've read people were having problems with the hajo.

The sight on these http://czcustom.com/cz75shadowls-pblk.aspx is one I am happy with. I matched it with the larger diameter fiber optic front, but that may be just a personal preference thing.

That is the only CZ adjustable sight that I have any experience with though, so maybe other folks can educate both of us on good options. I do not think I would like some of the rear sights that sit really high and would probably cry once and pay to get the slide milled, but again that is just my preference.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I broke down and bought the Cz Custom sight pusher. It is pricey, but I can move the sights in small increments.

I guess it comes down to cost of installing, shipping, and possibly having to adjust the sight again after the install.

I just wish the price on the pusher was less. It's a good tool.

I used 1000 grit automotive sand paper from Wal Mart, and a flat surface to remove metal from the bottom of the sight, until it fit.

My CGW rear will drift by hand If I back out the set screw... or eventually by recoil if you don't loctite the set screw as I recently found out in a match. :doh:

:)

Put a Dawson front in a CZ Compact yesterday.

No big deal, except I had to fit this one a bit (removed a wee bit of metal on the side wedges and a good bit more from the section that overhangs the slide). Others have dropped right in like an oem, for what it is worth.

Every time I think I know what I'm gonna do, I change my mind.

CGW said turn around time is 3-4 weeks...I'd rather not be without my gun for that long. So now I'm leaning towards trying it myself.