Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 6 - K frames

pete627

I'm sure this has been around the block a few times ... please bear with me ... :sick:

Watching the Limited 6 thread made me think again about the desirability of K frames and moon clips.

Using short colts in those tiny little K frame moon clips made me think even more (ouch!! ... like ... why bother if you can't load those little clips up with little bullets ... short colts??!?).

I really like my model 10 (who needs sights??!) and would like to grab a new model 67 ... but those guys are 38 special plus rated ... and ... it seems to me that our short colts (if making power factor) should be running in the 9mm/357 pressure range (significantly higher).

This doesn't seem like a good idea.

Those new 66s (357) will get the job done ... (and of course any of the L frames).

Should I just forget about the 38 K frames except for classic ... eating 38 specials?? :mellow:

What do you think??

I had the opportunity to shoot my Short Colt load in a 67 at my local indoor range. It was very accurate, recoil wasn't too bad with the stock grip. I'm sure a Big Butt grip would take most of that away. Now, did it make power factor....IDK, felt like it wouldn't have a problem. I'm pretty sure that will be the path I'm going to take to build a L6. I think the 67 is cool looking, and there are plenty of performance parts available.

Moonclips for a 38 rim in a K frame are just too fragile. A K frame cut to run 9mm cartridges would be a much better option. Tom sent me a few clips for a K frame in 38 and 9mm to convince me. In a practice load I dropped one of the 38 clips on the carpet loaded with Short Colts and the impact on the carpet wadded up the moonclip. To darn fragile. I was working on a minor gun for USPSA but then the 8 shot rule came along so this project was abandoned but I did prove to myself that 38 special type moonclips in a K frame was not the way to go.

Also with USPSA making 8-shot minor available, lots of guys seem to be hanging up the 625s, which may make a used one more enticing if can be had a reasonable price.

I agree on that. Some 625s should be hitting the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk