Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anal: is it worth it?

TonytheTiger

Most of the ranges I shoot at have a lot paper rifle targets in the 25-50 yd. range. So for the majority of my ammo I don't even bother with trimming. I buy bulk processed brass and bulk bullets and just load them up.

I have a separate batch of ammo for shots going out to 100 yds. Those I trim and use higher quality bullets. I then have a batch that's for the rare match with 200-300 yd. targets. This brass is from the same manufacture, trimmed & weighed.

Processing head

Station 1: full length sizer/decap set to size most of the case.

<snip>

Why FL size before FL sizing again if you are using the Dillon size/trim die?

Always looking to improve my processes. My prep toolhead looks like:

1: universal decap

2: empty

3: RT1200 FL size/trim

4:empty

5: lyman M die

loading toolhead

1: universal decap

2: powder

3: empty

4: forster micrometer seat die

5: dillon crimp (if using cannalured bullets)

I found that the lyman M die with a slight amount of neck flaring mitigated damage to bullets induced by not chamfering after rt1200 trimming. Otherwise flat base were difficult to seat and many bullet types would shave jacket while seating. Groups also tightened noticeably. YMMV

you snipped the answer, see below...

Processing head

Station 1: full length sizer/decap set to size most of the case.

Station 3: size/trim die.

>>>>Puts an even load on the processing head, and again, it gets more consistent brass. Case lube is a must! Sizing before trim is called for for consistency.

Yea, that word again... Getting the most consistency in length, sizing, bullet seat, powder throw, etc is important for knowing where the bullet hits the target<<<<

Having consistently built ammo will give you a consistently running AR, AND you will know where the bullet should go at a given distance.

jj

• 3 months later...

Most of the ranges I shoot at have a lot paper rifle targets in the 25-50 yd. range. So for the majority of my ammo I don't even bother with trimming. I buy bulk processed brass and bulk bullets and just load them up.

I have a separate batch of ammo for shots going out to 100 yds. Those I trim and use higher quality bullets. I then have a batch that's for the rare match with 200-300 yd. targets. This brass is from the same manufacture, trimmed & weighed.

How long is too long? I was reading somewhere that if you don!t trim the case could reach into the rifling and cause problems. If I could get away with not trimming that would be a real time saver for hosing ammo. Edited by Lfree6

I use the WFT for my .223/5.56 cases and they do "NOT" vary in length that much.

1. Lube the inside of your case necks, a dry neck might pull the shoulder forward as the expander is pulled through.

2. Pause for a few seconds at the top of the ram stroke when sizing, this reduces brass springback and you will have more uniform shoulder locations.

By doing this my WFT keeps a very uniform 1.750 trim length even when sizing once fired Lake City brass.

Edited by bigedp51

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...