Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on targets, timers, and practice

Let me start off by saying I'm a new guy. I've shot a lot, but never any actual matches. I'm wanting to start shooting some local pistol matches. I shoot in the Precison Rifle Series. Our matches rarely ever have any pistol in them. When they do, it's just one or two stages with less than 30 rounds. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask.

I need some targets to practice on. I've been shooting 10" steel circles because I already had them from some spares/backups I use on my 1000 yard range. I shoot my pistol off my deck behind my house. I have the plates at 20-30 yards spaced out. These seem like pretty small targets for the distance I'm shooting compared to a lot of the videos I'm seeing on YouTube. So, my question is, what targets do you reccomed I buy? And where is a good place to buy them? Cardboard or steel? I can get steel if needed for a reduced cost. However cardboard would still be much cheaper.

I've been practicing dry fire a lot. I've been working on my draw time and breaking my first shot. I'm doing this with a 1" orange dot sticky on the wall in my house at about 10-12 yards. I'd like to buy some type of timer so I can track my progress and see if I'm getting any better as I practice. What timer is a decent one that isn't too expensive. I don't mind buying a good one later if I see that this is something I'm going to get into heavily. This year pistol will still be second priority to my rifle shooting/matches.

Last question. I need some more mags. I have a STI 2011 in 9mm. I currently have 2 factory mags and just got a new MBX mag in the mail today. I have searched high and low for "in stock" factory STI mags in 9mm/140mm and they are like unicorn farts. I can't find any. So, do I just suck it up and buy more MBX mags at $130 a pop, or just wait and hope some factory mags will show up somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions, but I don't want to be a bother right out of the box.

Thanks

Edited by Trevor300wsm

If you're able to shoot in your back yard the sky's the limit. Lots of steel companies make a torso target that is either a 2/3 scale USPSA target or one that is the size of only the A and C scoring zones. No taping. But unless freshly painted no exact scoring either.

Most online vendors also sell the same cardboard targets you'll shoot at the match. Get as many of those as you want. Then with a fairly standard array of 3 targets you can practice a huge amount of skills.

Move your targets closer. Practice on them at distances of 7-20 yards and you'll be shooting at the majority distances of most matches.

As for timer I think the best starter is the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro. (NOT the Pro 2) Almost all timers are just over $100 so you're not gonna save tons of money there. Sorry, no help with the mags.

Most timers have the same features, except for the Double Alpha Shotmaxx that goes on the wrist like a watch.

It can distinguish your gun from any and all others.

Very cool for $150 from Competitive Edge Dynamics:

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/DAA-SHOTMAXX-Timer.html

If you ever decide to practice with airguns it will also pick them up.

The controls can be a little confusing, but Double Alpha has very good video instructions on their web site and on youtube.

For targets, cardboard versions are easy to make, especially if only the A zone is included.

Nothing wrong with the steel, either.

Targets: use whatever is used in the matches that you want to participate in.

I have easy access to two club ranges. One only allows pistols at 25 meters and the other also does IPSC. So I get bullseye and IPSC targets. IPSC paper targets are not all that hard to make if you can get some corrugated cardboard that is tan colored on at least one side.

I too can shoot at home, thank goodness. Over the years I have established a nice little range out back . . . 1 plate rack, 4 pepper poppers, 7 poppers and made my own (5) metric target stands. I buy metric targets (box of 50) from Shooters Connection.

My timer of choice is the CED 7000. I wear pockets tee, exclusively, and it fits perfectly in the pocket.

Edited by Reshoot

• 2 weeks later...

I too would recommend using cardboard targets. Either USPSA or IPSC targets will do; choose the shape your club most often uses. Targetbarn.com has every type of target you'll want.

Practicing on steel is great, but when you're new, practicing on paper and learning where the A and C zones are is very important.

1. I've been working on my draw with a 1" orange dot sticky on the wall in my house at about 10-12 yards.

2.I need some more mags.

1. Try a 2-3" dot at 10 yards - draw and hit the dot (Dot torture drill)

2. Brazos - that's where I got mine.

3. Good posting here recently - "Dot Torture Plan" :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack