Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 or 2011 shorted for 9mm/40s&w case lengths

Hammerman

After all these years, I wonder why no one has designed a full-size gun like Springfield's EMP that has been designed around the 9mm case length. My EMP works great and I would think you could do a 2011 that would kick butt.

Frame, slide, firing pin, plunger tube and spring, extractor, grips, and mags would be the only parts different. All the rest would be regular parts. You could even make the handle the same as a 1911, or shorten it like they did on the EMP.

So what do you guys think?

After all these years, I wonder why no one has designed a full-size gun like Springfield's EMP that has been designed around the 9mm case length. My EMP works great and I would think you could do a 2011 that would kick butt.

Frame, slide, firing pin, plunger tube and spring, extractor, grips, and mags would be the only parts different. All the rest would be regular parts. You could even make the handle the same as a 1911, or shorten it like they did on the EMP.

So what do you guys think?

Unless you are looking to reduce the grip size (from front to back, like you might want on a carry gun) you could essentially achieve the same thing by running spacers in your mag and a shock buff. Many people prefer the full stroke, and some 9/40 shooters actually pay smiths to increase the distance that the slide travels ("stroking" the gun).

I personally don't see the pay off for all of the proprietary parts just to shorten the action by 1/8".

Hello: I think it just revolves around the mags that are available. I built a IDPA gun with a 4.180" bull barrel in 9mm. It has a custom guide rod and reverse plug. Runs great and is a soft shooter. I may shorten it some more for IDPA CCP rules of 4" barrels. You could also look at the Sig 938 in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I think it just revolves around the mags that are available. I built a IDPA gun with a 4.180" bull barrel in 9mm. It has a custom guide rod and reverse plug. Runs great and is a soft shooter. I may shorten it some more for IDPA CCP rules of 4" barrels. You could also look at the Sig 938 in 9mm. Thanks, Eric

Oh wait, the rules say you can't shorten a barrel to make your gun CCP legal, but wait a minute, since you built it yourself then it's ok. I'm so confused.

Sorry for the tangent, that ruling just irritates me.

Oh wait, the rules say you can't shorten a barrel to make your gun CCP legal, but wait a minute, since you built it yourself then it's ok. I'm so confused.

Hello: Yes some of the IDPA rules are in the gray area. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Yes some of the IDPA rules are in the gray area. Thanks, Eric

GRAY? Like changing the unload and show clear commands? I gave up...

"...you can't shorten a barrel to make your gun CCP legal, but wait a minute, since you built it yourself then it's ok...)

ha, ha, my current favorite IDPA head shaker... thanks a lot, my blood pressure was just receding to normal... :-)

Edited by ddc