Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree mag pouches

pointerman1967

I am getting ready to shoot my CZ SP-01 in Production this month. I am really struggling with how far back my mag pouches end up due to some shoulder issues. Who makes mag pouches with a bullets out (90 degree rotation) for the CZ 75 platform? Anyone with similar issues make this change? If so, now much does the rotated mag pouches move everything forward?

Only question I can help you is that the Ghost 360 mag pouches allow for bullets out in addition to your standard bullets forward. (And if you're interested in them let me know...I've got some I'm getting rid of).

ghosts take up the same amount of room on the belt no matter which orientation you run them in. so you gain nothing. the cr racers while having a smaller mount on the belt, when mounted 90* didn't really help as they flared out radially due to their distance from the belt in that orientation.

i have a 30" waist and 5 mags can go from hip bone to kidney with most brands. for my needs i use the 90/bullets out style mag pouches from rln custom. and they take up less room on the belt for sure. along with being handmade in the usa and of a simple, elegant design.

I also shoot a cz sp01 so I'm using the same mags as you. the only thing i did to these pouches was add a little velcro to the inside part so as to get some more contact with the inner belt.

http://shop.rlncustomgear.com/products/copy-of-pistol-magazine-pouch-1pc

rowdyb,

I see the RLNs are a bit less expensive the the DAA Racers, but how much space are you saving with those? It looks like the attachment is taking the full width of a bullets forward pouch? Actually, looking at the photo that might be because they are showing a single stack mag in their photo.

DAA Pouches are fantastic and worth the spend. Come with inserts to fit any mag so they are future proof. Bullets out orientation takes up only the width of the pouch as the mounting point is actually on the side that would face the belt, regardless of bullet direction. I've used the DAA racer (plastic) pouches and they are not quite as good as the race master but well worth it, they too can be mounted bullets out.

As far as space saving, I found that running them out used only about 60% of the space that would be used running forwards/backwards. All my rigs now run this orientation and I've never looked back.

From what I have read the Ghost 360s are junk which is probably why you are moving on. :)

Really disagree with this. Yes, the width is the same bullets out or forward, but I've found them to be a solid, affordable choice.

yeah, their webpage pic is of a SS mag pouch. The mount/entire space on the belt is 1.5" on mine. So 5 pouches take up 7.5" of belt space. Less than 1/4 of my circumference and I'm not big at all. If you want I can take pics or what have you.

i also dig that there are just less moving parts. i'm no longer a big fan of all the bolts, wheels, leaf springs, spacers and stuff on other mag pouches. personally, i don't find i need what those other pouches offer. some do, i used to. but no longer.

I hear you on all of the extra parts. I have seen parts lost and have lost some bits myself during matches. Impossible to find that missing screw in 50 yards of dirt.

On another note, can anyone tell me why when I hit the "Quote" button in someone's post their message doesn't copy above mine?

Edited by pointerman1967

DAA Pouches are fantastic and worth the spend. Come with inserts to fit any mag so they are future proof. Bullets out orientation takes up only the width of the pouch as the mounting point is actually on the side that would face the belt, regardless of bullet direction. I've used the DAA racer (plastic) pouches and they are not quite as good as the race master but well worth it, they too can be mounted bullets out.

As far as space saving, I found that running them out used only about 60% of the space that would be used running forwards/backwards. All my rigs now run this orientation and I've never looked back.

I have both the racers and race masters on separate rigs and to be honest I prefer the racers.

Racers are 20-30% cheaper

Racers are lighter

Race masters show up dings/scratches easily

The only real advantage the rms have is the ball joint. However this can make it hard to set all pouches the same. The simple ratchet type joint on the racers works fine for me.

Don't get me wrong I still use by rm rig but for future rigs I'd go racer again.

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Ghost pouches facing out. Just measured my setup. The bases are 1 7/8" each. Five of them on the belt take up 9 1/2". Measured the outside edges and because of the arc they were 12". You're might be less or more. These are my first mag pouches on a double belt. Before that I just had a couple of double pouches on a single belt. I didn't have any trouble transitioning to them. But I'm a low level shooter. But they didn't cost me anything and I doubt they really helped me all that much. One thing about them is they have a plastic part in them and plastic screws. I haven't had any issues with them, but that may be why some say they are cheaply made. I have ran mags for CZ SP-01, M&P and SIG P226 in them with no adjustments.

The pouches I used to use aren't bullets out, but they take the least amount of real estate on my belt out of any mag pouches I have ever used. They are the Ready tactical mag pouches. I have shot a few matches with them and had 8 of them on my belt in the same space that 5 of the Ghost 360's sit.

I have switched to the bullets out Ghost pouches now and love them. I just wished they had a smaller footprint.