Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 Ohio CK Arms Buckeye Blast

In short, it is the discretion of HQ to allow a level 2 and above match score count as a classifier. I checked the box on the form c then they review who is shooting and what divisions and decide from there. There are two paragraphs on the USPSA website for FAQs for classification if you want the details.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In short, it is the discretion of HQ to allow a level 2 and above match score count as a classifier. I checked the box on the form c then they review who is shooting and what divisions and decide from there. There are two paragraphs on the USPSA website for FAQs for classification if you want the details.

Thanks for the reply. However, I could not find any information on USPSA's web site. I looked at FAQ on the top right of the screen, NROI Tab, Match ResultsTab, Club Support Tab and Member Support Tab and found nothing. If possible, could you be more specific on the location of this information?

Thanks for the help.

Follow the yellow brick road, go to USPSA.org -> About USPSA -> USPSA FAQ -> first bullet point is "How does the classification system work?"

Yes, however the questions still remains............................what is the definition of "whether enough top shooters completed in the match and performed at a level high enough to be considered a national standard."

Seems very ambiguous when we are being governed by a 112 page rule book and then have this opaque statement that can affect 100's of competitors.

Not meant as an argument, just "Inquiring people want to know."

"Scores From Major Matches

A shooter’s performance in larger matches and tournaments may also be used to help establish a classification. In order for overall scores from a Level II or Level III match to be entered as a classifier, the match director must submit an Application for Level II or Level III match with the "Results for Classification" check box marked. Please note that there is no guarantee that the overall results will be used. As a minimum requirement, the results and competitor list will be reviewed at the USPSA office to determine whether enough top shooters completed the match and performed at a level high enough to be considered a national standard."

I MD'd Ohio 3 years so ago and was told that is entirely up to HQ to determine. I got no specifics other than what you are quoting. A little prying got a few tidbits but nothing other than what's written really. Just a few local GM's won't cut it. They have to be well ranked , known competitors AND they have to shoot well. I ruffled a feather or two trying to figure it out. A local GM who finishes top 20 or so at nationals wasn't enough to count. As it turned out KC, Bob V, and a few other recognized shooters shot the match so it turned out be a non issue.

If you really want best answer just email HQ or maybe even Mr Foley but he might be busy enough with more important stuff. HQ staff gets paid to answer these questions though. And they will if you ask them.

Each division is considered on its own. Limited may not have met the criteria. I believe Open did. Anyone else have info?

Yep, I know. I was responding to Mads post #97. I really thought having Vogel blow everyone else out would be good enough for limited to count ad a classifier match. Guess he's falling off......lol.

Each division is considered on its own. Limited may not have met the criteria. I believe Open did. Anyone else have info?

Yep, I know. I was responding to Mads post #97. I really thought having Vogel blow everyone else out would be good enough for limited to count ad a classifier match. Guess he's falling off......lol.
Was he the only one in limited? Maybe one major player isn't enough?

Was he the only one in limited? Maybe one major player isn't enough?

There were only 2 GMs in Limited, and I believe they want at least 3. Then, they need to be top-level people (and both are pretty high up, I think). But, there were 2 A-class shooters in the top 5 and no Ms until 5th place. So maybe the thinking was "only 2 GMs, two As in the top 5, doesn't quite make it."

How about Production? 4 GMs, all in the top 5, and all GM and M through 8th place. But it doesn't look like it counted, either. Maybe the GMs weren't high enough (except Alex & Russell?). But again there were 4 of them, all in the top 5. Maybe they're still looking at it?

Edit: Just looked at the Prod Top 20 - three of the top 20 are in the top 4 of the match (Russell, Jim, Alex). It's a mystery.

Edited by teros135

In my mind, production without question should count. I think we all agree Alex shooting like that is a national standard of a 100% GM benchmark. However, just to cover all the bases, with the whole thing being subjective, could that be *too* high of a standard? After the 2nd place M and some B's down below no GM's, M's, or A's even shot to their minimum class percentage. Did Alex overshoot the benchmark by not having the pressure of battling other nationally competitive GM's? I say give it another month, it still may show up as a classifier.