Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few questions from a BEginner

nzfubz

Firstly thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

I'm a IPSC shooter from New Zealand and I have managed to get on a work jaunt to Las Vegas from the 31st Jan to 7th Feb 2016. My question to those in the know is are there any competitions, clubs or other pistol shooting events on in the area at that time that I can be a spectator at? If not what would the locals recommend in the way of ranges or gun stores to visit?

My other question is I'm struggling to work out the export restrictions from the US back to NZ. I would like to purchase a few parts and accessories while I'm there but I am confused as to if the $100 value restriction applies to personal purchases taken back in my luggage or is it just for stores exporting? I will have all the appropriate NZ import permits so the problems will not be at this end.

Any help on the above would be appreciated.

I'm a Lawyer, but I don't know much about the US Arms Export Control Act. My recollection is that the $100 deminimus exception is in the Admin Rules, not the Statute. Penalties for violation are up to $1 megabuck and a long stay in Club Fed. I stay a long way away from anything that could earn me penalties like that.

The time period you're going to be in Lost Wages is rather cold outside. I don't think you'll find much shooting going on there outside. There are lots of Commercial ranges there, and they all seem to rent machine-guns.

Can't you shoot the match if somebody loans you some gear? Heck with watching. Go shoot! I'm sure somebody here will hook you up?

If someone will spot me a ticket, and a the entry fee... I will gladly loan you whatever you need. If that is too much to ask for I will get you a shooting belt for free. I am cursed lefty so holster would might be difficult.

This is the response from the DDTC just in case everyone wanted to know.

Virtually all firearms parts are on the U.S. Munitions List (USML) and their export is controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Non-U.S. persons are not permitted to hand-carry controlled items out of the United States, and most exports would require a license. There is a licensing exemption in ITAR Part 123.17(a)(1) for transactions involving some firearms parts with a total value of under $100:

§123.17 Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.

(a) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of:

(1) Parts and components for USML Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any transaction

In other words, a U.S. firearms dealer could sell you up to $100-worth of certain parts and ship them to you. For any transaction above $100, the dealer would need to obtain an export license.

Accessories that do not enhance the usefulness, effectiveness, or capabilities of the firearm (e.g., belts, slings, after-market rubber grips, cleaning kits) are not ITAR-controlled, nor are ordinary hunting scopes that were not manufactured to military specs.

Kirk Bennett

DDTC Response Team

Note: Information in this message generally discusses controls and information contained in the Arms Export Control Act and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), both of which are authoritative on this matter. The Response Team fields basic process and status questions, and assists exporters in identifying how to get answers to more complex questions handled by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control’s licensing and compliance offices. The Response Team’s services are not a substitute or replacement for the advisory opinion, general correspondence, and commodity jurisdiction processes delineated in the ITAR, which should be used to obtain authoritative guidance on export control issues, and do not in any way relieve exporters from their responsibilities to comply fully with the law and regulations.

Think I'll just steer clear of parts and stick with accessories and clothing.