Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proof Research Barrel Reviews?

Robert King

I'm going to build an AR10 and trying to figure out the choice of barrel. I know I want 20" or possibly longer. I have heard great things about the Proof fiber barrels but they are out of my price range. Does anyone have experience with the Proof stainless steel barrels? They are half the price and more in line with my budget. I can also get a Mega 20" for $310 but wanted to check out the Proof stainless option first. Advice is appreciated.

This will be for a multi-purpose rifle. Some hunting, some plinking and I definitely want to build it so it can reach of with precision at longer ranges.

Proof makes barrels that are well respected. Save yourself some heartache. If you want to reach out with precision at longer ranges, don't cheap out on the barrel. It is the most important link in the whole system. There are makers that do good work, Lila, Bartlein, and JP all make good stuff. Do they cost more, of course they do. I tried to do a long range gun on a budget one time. Before I was through, I had spent another three grand on an entire different rifle because I was so pissed off because the first one did not shoot good enough. Only you can decide what you want to do, but if you try to shoot long range with a rifle that gets shortcutTed, you will just end up pissed off and mad. If I had to do it all over, I would have just called JP for my barrel, and been done with it. The upside to building a suck ass rifle is that you will end up with another rifle in addition to the suck ass, but it will end up costing more in the long run. Save money by spending a little more the first time, and do something that shoots good to start with. Sorry if this seems harsh. Didn't mean to, I'm just sort of a straight ahead speaker.

My AR10 has a 20" heavy barrel and even with fluting, it weighs well over 9 pounds with the scope and no magazine. That's a lot of weight to be carrying around hunting unless you're a young Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I'm not worried about weight at all. My hunting grounds start right when I step off the front porch. I don't plan on using it as a pack gun.

I've got a bolt gun for when I want to do long range precision and want to add an AR platform 308 on my budget. $400ish is all I want to spend on the barrel. I'll probably just roll the dice and try out the proof. I've heard really great stuff about the carbon fiber barrels.

I am sure they would shoot fine for the accuracy potential of an AR-10, IE in the 0.75-1 MOA range. The question is are there other barrels that are a better value? Probably. The Mega 20" is a nice choice, and a Criterion would be great as well.

To be honest though I am curious to your results myself now that you have made up your mind.

Also, I forgot to mention that I have a Mega 18" that has turned out to be a nice barrel. Nice profile for hunting and generally shoots 5-shot groups in the 1-1.5 MOA range, on average, with some down to 0.75 MOA. Was WAY overgassed however and needed an adjustable GB to run reliably.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Sanwizard said:

Thanks. Hopefully someone else can contribute. Worst case, i will add my observations after I recieve and test my 18" PR10 Proof SS barrel. 

Proof makes phenomenal barrels in both stainless and carbon fiber. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Proof barrel in any rifle. If you're building an AR-10 I would strongly suggest sticking to a minimum number of manufacturers to avoid some headache in the build. There's not too many standardized parts and you run into far more compatibility issues. I tend to recommend JP parts for building because of the success I've had with their 6.5 Creedmoor LRP-07's. They work working amazingly well and as a system they really do become more than the sum of the parts. 

Picture1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...