Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot calling with a shotgun

Moltke

"Shot Calling" has been taught to me as watching the front sight lift off the target and knowing that's where the the bullet went. Learning how to get that information from my sights has made me much faster with a pistol than waiting on the target to fall. Are people doing this with the shotgun too or just trusting that when they press the trigger, the target will go down?

I'd really like to know what you're doing, where you're looking (sights focus? target focus?) and what you're SEEing as confirmation that the shot was acceptable. It is apparent to me that we cannot wait to see steel fall or clays to burst when speed shooting the shotgun so how do you know when to go to the next target? So who's doing what and how's it working out for you?

With a shotgun I kind of squeeze my eyes shut a little with each shot, I squeeze them a lot harder as the shot weight goes up or the velocity goes up or both! They are down right squinched up tight with anything like a Prairie Storm round.....Ouch!!!

Edited by kurtm

I, for the most part, trust that when I pull the trigger the target will go down. With that said, if I pull a shot I know I did it pretty quick and will put another on target really quick and then move on.

I agree with this except on flying clays. Then if I don't watch the clay break I will not follow through properly and miss.

I, for the most part, trust that when I pull the trigger the target will go down. With that said, if I pull a shot I know I did it pretty quick and will put another on target really quick and then move on.

I agree with this except on flying clays. Then if I don't watch the clay break I will not follow through properly and miss.

Very true, I forgot about flying clays.

• 2 weeks later...

Early on i ripped off shots and makeup shots like crazy. I have been working hard to shoot my sights on all guns.... i shoot open with a dot so i should be able to call them like on a pistol target. Thats what i am working on too.

• 1 month later...