Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone have Experience with a 458 Socom?

450AK

I bet!! If you don't mind me asking JonKC what part of the country are you in. I would love to hog hunt someday but we don't have any here in Indiana but we do have plenty of deer I can shoot with it. What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I have one the barrel and bolt is from TROMIX in Tulsa ok. I use Accurate Arms 5744 powder and a WW large pistol primer. I have used Barns 325 grain bullets and my favorite Hornady 300 grain hollow points. I have the dreaded Eotech SS-02 sight on it and it will hold 1-1.5 M.O.A. at 100 yards. I've heard guys have real good luck with "little gun" powder as well. I was told the Hornady bullet wouldn't work, but like most things on the web...it was B.S. it is my favorite bullet in this caliber!!!

You do need to do a bit of a half moon cut down into the receiver, like an M-4 cut at 6 o'clock to ease feeding of everything, but most will run without it. It is strong pig medicine no doubt, and has become my very favorite AR type carbine!

I have one the barrel and bolt is from TROMIX in Tulsa ok. I use Accurate Arms 5744 powder and a WW large pistol primer. I have used Barns 325 grain bullets and my favorite Hornady 300 grain hollow points. I have the dreaded Eotech SS-02 sight on it and it will hold 1-1.5 M.O.A. at 100 yards. I've heard guys have real good luck with "little gun" powder as well. I was told the Hornady bullet wouldn't work, but like most things on the web...it was B.S. it is my favorite bullet in this caliber!!!

You do need to do a bit of a half moon cut down into the receiver, like an M-4 cut at 6 o'clock to ease feeding of everything, but most will run without it. It is strong pig medicine no doubt, and has become my very favorite AR type carbine!

I have a thousand or so 405gr Rem. FP and some 300gr HP that I use in my 450 Alaskan laying around I thought I would try. I also picked up a box of the 300gr TTSX. I have a 8 pounder of H-110 and Reloader 7 I figured that would be a good start. I was planning on putting my EOTECH 512 on it but I read they weren't holding up. I might end up putting a Burris on it instead.

The 512 will work just fine! As long as it is a good one from the start. The recoil impulse on these cabinets seems less to me than my 308, and my XS-02 has done just fine on my SOCOM. Send me a pm with your email and I'll send you a picture of the pig I got last night with my itsy bitsy SOCOM :)

Edited by kurtm

I have had a Rock River for a few years, great fun. I am messing with gas checked cast lead bullets in mine right now, fun for plinking.

Need to get over to the .458 SOCOM forums and read up on the load data info over there.

I will have to check it out. I didn't even know there was such a place. Are you worried about shooting lead in a gas gun? Although it's probably not much of a problem with gas checks? I have a ton of lead bullets for my Alaskan I could use. Now my wheels are turning.

• 5 weeks later...

I own but have yet to shoot it. I bought the complete upper from Rock River, and once I received it. It wouldn't bolt lock, cycle or eject. Actually had a to pay a smith to remove a live cartridge from the breach before I could even send it back to them. Been waiting on there response or new one since 2nd week of December

I have one and like it. I bought a Tromix complete upper and put it on a spare AR lower. Killed two deer with it this year in Indiana. Used the Barnes 300 TTSX from SBR.

I am in the process of figuring out reloading 458. I sized cases last night. Going to try both the Barnes 300 TTSX and the Nosler 300 BT. Powders to try are H110, RE&, and A5744 (because that is what I could find out of the powders I have data for). The accurate web site, the new Nosler book, and the Lyman AR manual have loading data.

I've been playing with my Socom a ton lately. It loves 31 grains of H-110 and a 300 grain TTSX. It also seems to like a 300 remember HP and 35 grains of H-110. I have some 405s loaded up but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot get my H110 to cycle in my carbine gas 16" Rock River Arms.

Ive shot a few deer with it in Indiana. poor deer never stood back up from taking at hit from the 300 TTSX

I use RE-7 and get 1,600fps. I wish I could get closer to 2,000fps. I get ~1.25" @100 and 2.5" @ 200yds