Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI recoil master

Arturo

I am interested in opinions of the recoil master in open STI open pistols. I have one that came with my STI edge. I have never used it as I purchased the gun from Dawson Precision with the CRP upgrades. With the CRP (competition ready package) it was removed and a solid guide rod installed. I am considering trying it in my 5" 9 major gun. I have read a lot of threads about various tuning issues on open and limited STI pistols usually having to do with feeding issues. If the gun has a recoil master in it the advise is usually to take it out. But some really high end open pistols come with them and it's a vital part of how good they run. So this leaves me wondering is it that they are difficult to tune and find a sweet spot. Is it a gimmic? Are they not reliable? Or is it a preference thing? I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion.

Edited by Arturo

But some really high end open pistols come with them and it's a vital part of how good they run.

Which "really high end" pistols would that be? Custom builds don't use them. Dawson replaces them when they "upgrade" a pistol, so......

I am interested in opinions of the recoil master in open STI open pistols. I have one that came with my STI edge. I have never used it as I purchased the gun from Dawson Precision with the CRP upgrades. With the CRP (competition ready package) it was removed and a solid guide rod installed. I am considering trying it in my 5" 9 major gun. I have read a lot of threads about various tuning issues on open and limited STI pistols usually having to do with feeding issues. If the gun has a recoil master in it the advise is usually to take it out. But some really high end open pistols come with them and it's a vital part of how good they run. So this leaves me wondering is it that they are difficult to tune and find a sweet spot. Is it a gimmic? Are they not reliable? Or is it a preference thing? I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion.

They work OK. Some pretty good shooters actually prefer them. The problem is, they occasionally break, usually at the worst time.

not an open gun, but I loved the way the recoil master felt on my SS gun. Problem was it was sticking occasionally and causing malfunctions. I haven't had a malfunction since I swapped it out for a standard guide rod a few thousand rounds ago. I just don't have a long enough life to be able to tolerate equipment problems. Simple = reliable = good.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it run good? Then no.

I'm running a Steelmaster with the original recoil master in it and it runs awesome. Had quite a few rounds through it too. Current steel loads are running under 120pf and don't have any issues at all.

I'm going to get another guide rod and springs but that will be for shooting 9major with it. Other than that I'll stick with the recoil master.

• 1 month later...

Dumb question. Are the recoil springs on the STI recoil master proprietary springs (i.e. a unique size) or can you run any recoil springs on them? I've searched and can't find the answer. Seems like one of you guys might know. Thanks.

Edited by jwhittin

Dumb question. Are the recoil springs on the STI recoil master proprietary springs (i.e. a unique size) or can you run any recoil springs on them? I've searched and can't find the answer. Seems like one of you guys might know. Thanks.

I know they are shorter than the springs used in 5" guns but not sure if they are truly "proprietary".

The trouble with a recoil master in an open gun is tuning for you and your ammo.

With conventional recoil set up you can take a set of 8 thru 12 pound springs to the range and see what works best for you. The recoil master is a great product, it just dosnt have the same level of tunability in my opinion.