Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SPR A3G? This could be my next rifle.

450AK

I have a range that I can shoot out too a 1000 yards within 20 minutes of my house. I'm sold on a 308 because of the components I have on hand and the barrel life. I know the 6 and 6.5mm give a ballistic advantage but that's not what I'm after.

I've heard a lot of great things about these rifles. I have a buddy that has one, and it has been very accurate. I also had two guys tell me they had a lot of trouble with them, but that may have been with early production, and suggested I do not buy one.

I think there is not a problem going with a 308, especially if it is a first long range rifle. It is, generally, le$$ to shoot than some of the other caliber options. There are a lot of guys that actually train with a 308 and not their 6mm or 6.5mm match rifles. Don't skip on the glass and have fun.

wg

I had a Remington 5r several years ago and really enjoyed it. But then life happened and I started shooting more handgun sports and just kind of lost interest. On my 5r I had a Leupold VXIII 6.5-20x50 with a 30mm tube target nobs and side focus. I liked the scope but there might be better options for the money?

168 Federal Gold Medal Match, average was 2508 fps out of the 20" barrel.

I had Short Action Customs put a large bolt handle on it, running a FFP Votex Viper 6-24, waiting for my EFR to come in so I can nv on it.

I own a SPR A5 24inch, With Fed Match 168ammo I was getting under a MOA. This rifle will soon be sent off to get a CDI bottom metal for AI mags and a caliber changed to 6.5CM. I wasn't able to group sierra 155's MK's worth a damn, but after some investigating I wasn't loading them long enough. (loaded them at Pmag Length for my semi-308) and they had a bit of extra jump because of the Olive? of the bullet to the lands. Action is built tough and is a good as any Trued Remington 700. what does and will suck if you decide to barrel it is that the barrel needs a relief cut done for the extractor and the threading of the rifle is "different". So your going to need to find a smith that has worked on FN Action before. Stock selection is getting better if you don't want to run the Mcmillian. XLR chassis is as close your going to get to a AR ergos for this rifle.

Thanks for your reply Doc. That's a lot of good info. If I ever barrel it I only live about 40 minutes from a guy named Mark Pinrod he's about the best there is with a mod 70 action so I'm told.

• 1 month later...

Okay for you guys running spruh mounts I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x55 that I'm putting on this rifle. The only thing I have to do is get the mount. I'm using the TI one piece rail that came one the gun. Will the medium be high enough to clear and still keep it as low as it can? I hoping not to have to raise the cheek piece much and hopefully none at all.

+1 on Mile High. Probably one of the best sources for Precision Rifle. On the SPR, I had a 24" in 300 WSM and liked it a lot. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot. Only sold it b/c I had a number of custom builds done and don't have enough time to shoot them all.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my SPR A5 6.5CM to my indoor 100yard range to get a good zero, all groups were 3/4moa or better, but this was my best group so far :)

140gr Hornady A-Max Factory loads.

I just hope my reloads will be this accurate!

post-21671-0-84289000-1456253107_thumb.j

Edited by DocMedic

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...