Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion 650 Indexing Help...

I'm having a problem with my 650 on the down stroke (pushing handle forward) when you eat the primer. Something is jamming it up and catching. Couple of gentle bumps of the handle and it'll "clear" and seat the primer. For the life of me, I can't figure out where it's catching.

I took the whole thing apart this afternoon, cleaned everything, used the platform alignment tool, tightened everything down, added a little grease/lube here and there and started reloading again. I'm still getting it caught on something every so often. It will cycle smoothly occasionally, but more times than not it getting hung up somewhere.

Anybody have the same problem and fixed it? I was thinking that the primer was hitting the shell plate, but I don't believe that's the case. I use a small toothpick to "jiggle" the primer when the handle was stuck and it didn't appear to be caught on the plate. Any suggestions, ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Coach.

The bolt holding the shell plate on could be just a little bit too tight, try backing it off. Your spent primer chute could also be jammed and be backed up with old primers which can cause similar problems but will get progressively worse.

Be really careful when you are bumping the handle to free the jam that you do not crush a primer and set it off.

Another point to check is the plastic indexing ring.

I had one that had cracked all the way through and my machine was giving me fits like you describe. It wasn't obvious the index ring had broken until there is some pressure on it during the down stroke and then the crack would open up right next to the cam section on the index ring.

Replaced the index ring and all is good again.

I find that with a Dillon funnel this happens with every R-P casing, but never with Win, Blazer, FC, or PMC cases on both my 550's. It never happens on my 650 that uses the Mr Bullet Feeder straight conical funnel.

I put minimal flare on my cases (about 0.010) so that I don't stress the lip and cause cracks. Even so the R-P cases stick. I believe they have a slightly higher wall thickness and assume that is the reason.

If you do not sort head stamps you could conclude the occurrence is random. You might check to see if the problems are R-P cases.

Lots of good advice here.

I also had the indexing ring issue. Took me a half an hour to find that was the problem.

Also check to see if the cartridge that is ejecting into the bin is catching on the ejection wire. I have had several issues with 9mm cases, mostly RP, catching on the wire instead of ejecting.

Test for this by slightly backing off on your stroke when you feel the sticking, manually push the case out of the shell plate, and complete your stroke. If no resistance it was the stuck case.

If you are wet needle cleaning (and that is all I do), you have 2 choices.

1. You'll have to lube your cases. Spray lube a little and let it dry. Should improve but you may still have powder funnel issues.

2. Exchange the Dawn liquid for Armor All Wash and Wax with Carnuba. Problem solved, no more sicking issues, either in sizing, or belling. Plus your cases will stay shiny and bright for a long time.

And the answer is.... Cleaned the gunk (probably dirt and lead) out of the groves in the shell plate holder. Called Dillon and they replaced the index block, index ring, the "little hammer", associated springs, primer plate, primer punch and sent me two alignment tools for the index/shell plate. Cleaned everything again, put it all back together and we're in business again. Not exactly sure which part solved it or a combination of all, but everything lines up again and it operates the way it should.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and thank you Dillon for sending all those parts at no cost. I offered to pay for it, but nope. They wouldn't take my money, just sent the parts to make it go.

I have 1,000 pieces of 147gr Bayou Bullets waiting for me. I'm gonna see if I can get 500 rounds an hour out of this bad boy!

Coach.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep lube all cases pistol and rifle. Pistol being lubed makes the 650 run do smooth on that down stroke. Also a guy out if Alaska by the name of mark sells the Teflon bearing ball and reduced spring for the shell plate kick. This is a great combo product. Shell plate runs even smoother combined with line and eliminates that powder you see on your shell plate.