Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Picture -- How Perfect?

Aaaggh. Until recently, I was a little bit smug, and confident with my skills with a pistol. Then again, I had never participated in any sort of practical pistol exercise; instead just stood at the line on public ranges, and plugged away at 7, 15 and 25 yards.

But I felt I knew how to obtain a good sight picture, and could shoot reasonably tight groups.

After participating in a couple IDPA-style matches, I'm badly shaken -- I'm not hitting s**t. I can blame some of my poor performance on the "newness" of this: I feel anxious at the line, and overwhelmed by what's really simple math concerning magazine changes. :) And I rush. But last time, I made a concious effort to really look at the front sight, and still the hits were poor(ish). I'm not dead last, but at these distances, I should be dead center!!

So maybe, under pressure, my sight picture isn't what I think it is. I've been trying to center the front sight, but it's all something of a blur, and I can't swear I've ever seen the front centered between the blades of the rear sight, a la an NRA diagram.

Do y'all see that kind of perfect sight picture? Or, from practice and experience do you *know* when you have good alignment, without really seeing it.

Thx

On tight shots I see the "classic" sight picture. Crisp front sight. If you don't see any sight picture how do you know where the bullet went? :) Learning to see is very important. It takes time so let it come to you just be aware and it will.

Thx y'all. I am not, in fact, calling my shots -- I am vaguely conscious of bringing the pistol up and kinda/somewhat/I think getting an intial picture, and beyond that, I can't tell you what happens.

On target that require multiple shots, somewhere in my brain I'm concious that I've squeezed the trigger the required number of times, but I can't remember any of it.

I've got to learn how to *see*, you're right.

In two days I'm shooting my first IPSC match, so I'm hoping I can see a little bit better, by then. I hope, too, my 10-round mags for the Kimber will arrive by then. Though my issues aren't equipment related, it's nice not even stacking that particular concern on the shelf along with everything else. :)

What I see for a sight picture depends on what I NEED TO SEE. If it is 50 yard standards, then I will see the classic NRA sight picture. For close up open shots, most of the time I don't see, or need, the sights at all.

"..I feel anxious at the line, and overwhelmed by what's really simple math concerning magazine changes..."

Boo,

IDPA can do that to a man. There are so many "don't's" that even a seasoned shooter will get frazzled. Maybe an IPSC match would allow you to build more confidence. The "freestyle" nature of the sport will allow you to focus more on the dynamics of shooting and not the "pre-determined-orchestration" of the stage.

Maybe even getting a timer and setting a par-time of 2 seconds for 2 A hits at 10yds would build your confidence.

After dismal performances of late, I'm re-reading the book to jump-start my accuracy. The Focus and Awareness sections are of extreme importance, never forget the concepts...never.

I was in the same place when I started.

I had qualified as expert on the rifle and handgun in the military...I had been shooting since I can remember...I could hit just about anything I ever aimed at...blah...blah...blah

It is really pretty simple.

1. find the target

2. bring the gun onto the target

3. bring your vision back to the front sight (for a classic "front sight" focus...which is where you need to be right now)

4. keep the gun on target while the bullet exits the barrel (you should be able to watch the front sight lift out of the rear notch)

If you align the gun on the target...and keep it there until the bullet leaves the barrel...it is literally impossible to miss with a properly functioning firearm.

I'd also guess that you are looking at the target, perhaps looking for your bullet holes to appear...to see it you hit anything. Your vision should be back at your sights...so that you can call the shot. Read the sights and you won't need to see if the hoples appear...you will know if they are there or not (even before the bullet gets to the target).

Do you guys shoot with one eye, or two eyes open?

I have been doing dry fire practice at home, and I have found I can super impose the sights on the target, and it is pretty cool... but if I look away, and come back... it takes a LONG time to get that focus right again. Is that normal, and just requires training?

I also find, if I open up both eyes, I don't blink when I fire. If I close my left, my right eye blinks every time I shoot. (and, after working on it the last several times I have shot, it is beginning to bug me, that I can't stop that blinking).

Rifter, I have blinked before. One of the reasons for me doing it is a natural reaction to the explosion that takes place in you weapon. Now what really helped me with that issue was double plugging. In other words I use the foam plugs in my ears and a pair of electronic muffs over those. Here is a good price on the ones that I am currently using:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product...TTF58444UR3CXUD

On sight picture there is a distinct difference between sight picture and sight alignment. Where sight picture is when you take you weapon and point it into the sky without any reference to a target and position the front sight into the rear notch with equal amounts of light on both sides of the front post and front post and rear notch are the same height. Now when you take that sight picture and align it with a target that is called sight alignment. (source: Matt Burkett videos).

I shoot slower than most but shoot more accurately and finish high amongst my group of friends. The last IDPA match that I shot I dropped 5 points total. Others dropped 75+, but their time was much better, but I ended up doing better than most because of focus on sight alignment. Take it that this was a small 30 people shoot but I ended up 2nd in the match for people that shot the course one time only. A couple of people shot it again and did better than I.

For me, I really do try to hit what I am at and am working on developing speed by stage dopping and moving between firing locations fast. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing slow fire by any means but as someone said earlier see what you need to see and not any more. Something tells me that you know how to shoot but are just getting caught up in the moment. Take your time and hit what you are aiming at then move on and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your next match.

Thx all.

I shot my first IPSC match this Saturday and it was so fun it ought to be illegal. :)

One of the things that really helped, much as I hate saying it, was seeing a couple previous shooters in the squad miss repeatedly in the very first stage, which was a field of steel targets. And while my heart was still pounding at the line, there was some comfort in knowing I wouldn't shoot *that* badly, at least, and I didn't. After that I relaxed, and really had fun.

Some targets, for example some steel plates on one stage, were very tight, and after missing, I did have to suck it up, take some time, and get a 'real' sight picture; on other targets sometimes I "saw what I needed to see" to quote a previous suggestion.

I ended up exactly in the middle of my division (L10), and learned a great, great deal. The folks in the squad were extremely friendly, and I received plenty of advice. It was also fascinating to watch two GM shooters work the course, in the next squad over.

Oh, I did order "The Book", as well as a Dillon press from this sight. And joined USPSA. Unfortunately my d*mn Kimber is broken -- at least it waited until I cleaned it after the match(!). Thumb-safety broke right where it enters the frame, but a replacement is in the mail, and I look forward to practicing with a purpose. The truly appreciate the advice here -- this is quite a resource!

Glad that you enjoyed yourself. Have more fun at your next shoot - it might sound funny but the next shoot will be more fun.

I was thinking about another firearm, a Taurus that my brother has and with it you push down so far to release the safety and push further to decock. If you pushed your safety enough to brake it you would have decock the taurus. :o Alway thought that my brothers gun in the midst of battle when you really needed the safety to come off and no more that you might find yourself with a decocked gun. :huh: Thread drift - sorry.

Have fun with your shooting.

• 3 weeks later...
On sight picture there is a distinct difference between sight picture and sight alignment. Where sight picture is when you take you weapon and point it into the sky without any reference to a target and position the front sight into the rear notch with equal amounts of light on both sides of the front post and front post and rear notch are the same height. Now when you take that sight picture and align it with a target that is called sight alignment. (source: Matt Burkett videos).

Ummm, I thought it was the other way around :unsure:. Mr. Burkett would be the go to guy I'd say... Is this just an accident (reversal of the two), or am I screwed up :wacko:? (Probably that latter one :) ) Cheers!

How "perfect" does the sight picture needs to be to me is relative to the shot being taken.

For me one eye or two is relative to the shot being taken as well. The more I shoot the farther the distance I can effectively use two eyes seems to become.

It has been my experience that there is not one technique (this includes sight picture) that is appicable to all the different types of shots we take.

"Let the gun tell you it's story." ... Brian Enos.

This will take an open mind and some patience. Also it will take shooting at multiple target presentations at multiple distances. Experience goes a long way in this. With experience confidence will come. Then you will know what you need to see.

Now when you take that sight picture and align it with a target that is called sight alignment. (source: Matt Burkett videos).

Ummm, I thought it was the other way around :unsure:.

What if the sight picture you need to use only consists of the front blade and you don't need the rear blade? What if the "sight picture" you need doesn't consist of the front or rear blade at all and is just looking down the side of the slide (I have to do this for tall ports)? How you apply this to the target is sight alignment.