Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero

jellyb

Is your optic zeroed at 12yds? If so, then yes, the impact will be high at 25yds. You have to consider zero distance and height over bore.

Edit: This image uses a rifle, but the same principle applies to a pistol with a red dot. If the lines intersect at 12yds, then the impact will be higher than the aim point at 25yds.

borescope.jpg

Edited by TennJeep1618

Is your optic zeroed at 12yds? If so, then yes, the impact will be high at 25yds. You have to consider zero distance and height over bore.

Edit: This image uses a rifle, but the same principle applies to a pistol with a red dot. If the lines intersect at 12yds, then the impact will be higher than the aim point at 25yds.

borescope.jpg

You need to zero a C-more at 40 yards give for take. That is probably the longest distance would see in a USPSA match. If you only shoot local matches-Zero at the longest distance. Zeroing a C-more at 12 yards will significantly affect longer shots. A C-More dot is not the center of a scope. The dot can be larger-smaller depending on brightness setting.

Scope offset is what causes it to shoot high at longer distances. The standard upright cmore mount puts the dot 2.5 to 3 inches over the bore, so if you draw a straight line from the bore and one from the sight they will touch at 12 yards. Then the bore line will continue to rise while the cmore line will stay straight. I use a 90 degree mount for my cmore so the lens is only .5 to 1 inch above the bore so I can zero it at 20 or 25 yards and it will be good from 1 yard out to 80 or 90 depending on the dot size. With a larger dot you will still be on target out further due to the size at distance. 8 moa dot = 8 inches at 100 yards. Go to handloads.com and use the ballistic calculator to see where you need to be. I have used it for years, very handy indeed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

For open guns I settled in on a 17 yard zero. A nice happy medium for the ranges we see in USPSA and 3 Gun.

With the dot on my C-More sight 2.5" above the bore, I get the following results from a ballistic calculator.

At the distance indicated, the POI is high/low to the sight picture.

Field results indicate these numbers are close.

0 yards - 2.1" low

5 yards - 1.4" low

10 yards - 0.1" low

15 yards - 0.2" low

17 yards - zero

20 yards - 0.3' high

25 yards - 0.8" high

30 yards - 1.2" high

35 yards - 1.6" high

40 yards - 2.0" high

45 yards - 2.2" high

50 yards - 2.5" high

75 yards - 2.7" high

100 yards - 1.5" high

Ammo is 9 Major with 124 gr JHP at 1385 fps.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

For open guns I settled in on a 17 yard zero.

Looks perfect from the chart. :bow:

Still very important to fire a group at 35 yards and 10 yards, to

see where bullets are landing.

When I sighted in for 15 yards, I'd find bullets landed left or right

at 40+ yards. By sighting in at 35 yards, they are Truly Sighted

In from 5 - 50 yards. :cheers:

For open guns I settled in on a 17 yard zero.

Looks perfect from the chart. :bow:

Still very important to fire a group at 35 yards and 10 yards, to

see where bullets are landing.

When I sighted in for 15 yards, I'd find bullets landed left or right

at 40+ yards. By sighting in at 35 yards, they are Truly Sighted

In from 5 - 50 yards. :cheers:

Agree.

You were right on I zeroed the wind age at 20 yards and I am right on now. Thanks!

quote name="davsco" post="2513049" timestamp="1449769763"]

heavy crosswind?

your windage being off a little at 12 is probably magnified at 25. zero at 20-25 and see if your windage is still good at a shorter distance.

Edited by jellyb

• 2 weeks later...