Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hailstorms

SRT Driver

It was 75 degrees this afternoon. It started hailing about the size of a quarter and the temp dropped about 25 degrees in 10 min. Baseball size hail 10 miles away!!

The ground is covered with 2 inches of hail, knocked some paint off of the house. Who knows what the car looks like!!!! And there is a tornado warning.

I hate spring!!!!! :angry:

Texas?? I wish!!! Illinois!!! And big storm number 4 in as many hours!

SigLady,

I was in my car and BOOM!!! Like a squadron of B-52's let loose!!! The thermometer in my car showed 75 and 200 yards later...45 degrees!!!!! It stopped at 38 but then rose back to 55. It was tough to keep the car from sliding. I have never experienced anything like that!!! The noise was incredible.

TT,

I'll be there come hell or high water...No Pun intended!!! We got it all tonight! :D

TT,

Looked at the car after things cleared a bit and it looks OK! Amazing! Whew!!! It might have somthing to do with all of the curved surfaces. But I won't know 'til it's light and it dries off. No biggie, it's just a car! :D

BD,

Thanks for the thoughts. Everyone is OK. No one sustained major damage that we could see but my neighbor was freaked out. Along with my son. Now, if only the sump pump would stop running.

SigLady,

Driving was weird. Kind of like driving on ball bearings. I'd don't want to do that again for a long time. HEY, there's one for Trigger T's adrenaline rush thread!!

I have been in plenty of these things and each one is different from the last. I always thought it was like being inside a base drum while someone was playing the 1812 overture. Many times I have watched the shingles flying all over the neighborhood and/or have had the glass explode into the truck.

The way storms move through the Texas panhandle one after the other is the proper definition of “rolling thunder”.

geezer

These hailstones were the size of marbles, some larger. The racket was incredible, like someone was pounding on the car with a ballpeen hammer. It was incessant for about 10 minutes the first time.

Other than some granules from the shingles all over everything, especially by the downspouts, and a few paint chips, not too bad.

My car came through essentially OK with some bearly noticable dings on the trunk lid and a couple on the roof. From the sound, I thought it would look like a golf ball.

In the grand scope of things this was no big deal...but it was the worst I've ever seen. I can't imagine Texas or Oklahoma. You guys must have them the size of bowling balls at times.

You can pop those little dings yourself with some ice. Park the car in the sun on a really hot day. While it warms up enjoy a nice cold glass of ice water, then take the ice cubes and pop one in the dimple....POP! No more dimple.

Nolan

When I worked in SW Oklahoma, my buddy was looking to buy a Ford Bronco that was for sale. As he was trying to make up his mind, the seller tried to clinch the deal by pointing out the "valuable" hail damage it had sustained (?!). When we asked just what was so damned valuable about hail damage, he said, "Wait until the next storm and then make a claim for it with your insurance company. I did it, and so did the 2 previous owners! It's just like money in the bank!" If nothing else, it was the most unique car-selling tactic I've ever seen.

I spent 3 years there in Tornado Alley, and experienced some frightening thunderstorms and twisters, but we didn't receive any hail to rival what the folks back home were getting. We received a call from my friend's father one day to tell us that in Lagrange, GA (where my friend was from), they had just been hammered with SOFTBALL-sized hail (approx. 1984). Didn't believe it until we saw it on the news that night.

There was so much damage, all the insurance vendors in town pulled together and held a drive-by assessment. They posted notices in the paper and the following weekend, almost everybody in town went to the local shopping mall. In the parking lot were lanes with adjusters making written estimates for repairs. Pull your ride up, the guy walked around your car, and handed you your paperwork. Loooong lines, too.

When I worked in SW Oklahoma, my buddy was looking to buy a Ford Bronco that was for sale. As he was trying to make up his mind, the seller tried to clinch the deal by pointing out the "valuable" hail damage it had sustained (?!). When we asked just what was so damned valuable about hail damage, he said, "Wait until the next storm and then make a claim for it with your insurance company. I did it, and so did the 2 previous owners! It's just like money in the bank!" If nothing else, it was the most unique car-selling tactic I've ever seen.

Unique, sure and a felony in most states, too. ;)

Other than some granules from the shingles all over everything, especially by the downspouts, and a few paint chips, not too bad. 

In the grand scope of things this was no big deal...but it was the worst I've ever seen.  I can't imagine Texas or Oklahoma.  You guys must have them the size of bowling balls at times.

It sounds like you may have sustained significant damage to your roof. Take pictures and have an independent expert go up for a look.

It sounds like you may have sustained significant damage to your roof. Take pictures and have an independent expert go up for a look.

I disagree, based on the size description of the hail. If the roof is in good condition it, generally, takes golfball sized hail and larger to damage a composition roof (damage defined as a fracture of the organic or glass mat). Granular loss is not, except only in extreme cases, indicative of damage either. But, if you have a question, file a claim with your homeowners insurance and ask for an inspection.