Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Armor Piercing Ammo Answer

rustybayonet

This subject came up in a thread about coating bullets.

Federal Law states: it is legal to possess, purchase, buy or sell armor piercing ammo in the U.S. state and local laws vary.

It is not legal to import or manufacture armor piercing ammo.

So, I would guess casting and coating AP ammo is a no-no.

Teflon will not make a bullet pierce armor. It's just a lubricating coating used by some different manufacturers. Plus, any armor that can pe pierced by a cast bullet should be returned to it's manufacturer for a complete refund. Cast bullets normally max out at around 22 on the brinnell scale (bhn). KTW bullets were made of "architectural" bronze, and hardened to enhance penetration. They haven't been made for decades. To my knowledge, this design was what started the B.S. "cop-killer" bullet idea craze with the public, since there have been armor piercing bullets practically since there were bullets. Teflon allegedly enhanced the performance of the KTW slightly, although I have serious doubts about about the level of "enhancement".

According to ballistics expert Nancy Pelosi, any projectile that exceeds the size and velocity of a .177 cal BB fired from a 1/2" barrel has the capability of not only piercing body amour, but M1 Abrams as well. :devil::roflol:

any projectile that exceeds the size and velocity of a .177 cal BB fired from a 1/2" barrel has the capability of not only piercing body armour

Sounds like we can eliminate the difference between Minor and Major power factor then. :ph34r:

I guess Jeff Cooper was wrong, all along. :surprise: