Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650XL WITH bullet feeder OR 1050?

I have a 1050 set up for 9x21 and loved it. I really don't want to monkey with it. I have a 550 that I COULD roll over to .40 but what's the fun in that? ;)

After seen the price of a 650xl vs. the 1050 ( THE PRICE of the 1050 HAS GONE WAY UP, since the last time I bought a press) I think maybe a 650XL with the case feeder and the Mr. Bullet feeder might be faster and easier to load on than the 1050...

Thoughts?

Edited by Chutist

Only thing I can really think of is the 1050 has the swager. If you're not going to be processing military brass, then the 650xl will probably be more than sufficient. I LOVE my 1050, but if I wasn't processing .223, then I'd probably have a 650 instead.

I'm of that mind too. if the calibre you'll primarily load doesn't need swaging (ie 38 super or 40) and you don't plan to automate the the 650 with mbf will get you a solid 1000 rounds per hour capability without hassle.

I do think a 650 with case and bullet feeder is faster than a 1050 with just casefeeder.

Only you can tell for sure how it will fit into your plans: number of calibers, number of rounds, etc.

Me... I would definitely get the 1050... OK, so initially without the feeder, but we all realize it will be before long that you will add the MrBF.

But only if you don't expect to need many caliber changes.

Get another 1050 tool head, out your 40 cal dies on it, and load 40 and 9mm on your 1050. Minimal things to change, and no need to readjust primer system, etc. $250 for a 1050 tool head plus dies. Much cheaper than a 650 set up.

jmho

jj

I have both. The 650 with a bullet feeder is faster and less work than a 1050 without but a 1050 with a bullet feeder is a tad faster and you get a swager so you don't have primer seating problems and you set the primer depth with an Allen wrench not by feel.

What's so hard about changing the shell plate on a 1050?

Oh yea, will need a caliber change kit as well, but I would still go to the 1050.

jj

Don't know, never done it... Mine's be set up for 9x21 and never done anything else

Found a couple of Youtubes but both showed only changing the tool head...not the shell plate.

Edited by Chutist

I agree with RiggerJJ. I've never measured the shellplate but some here claim that the shellplate for 9mm and .40 are interchangeable.

You may not have to change the shellplate. Even if you do, its very simple and will take about 2 or 3 minutes.

I checked at lunch and a .40 sure fit nice in the shell plate. Looked like a perfect fit with the button and indexed just fine...

You guys have me rethinking this, may just get the tool head for the RL1050 and spend the extra on the Bullet feeder! :D