Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chrome or NP3

rtl

Been following this thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225013.

I'm starting a new SS 9mm build and wondering about finishes. I know I want something more durable than Cerakote or blue and I'm wondering about NP3. ROBAR is local to me (well sorta) and I hear a lot of nice stuff about their work. Just unsure if the NP3 will hold up like hard chrome does.

Thanks

RTL

I have a 2011 done in NP3 and it has been super durable and runs smooth due to the slickness of the finish. My only issue with it is that the slickness also works on the outside and makes the slide pretty slippery which makes it difficult to get a purchase on it to clear malfunctions. I have a couple of small strips of skate tape on the back of the slide to help with the issue. All things considered, I'd go with NP3 again.

I have wondered about these two finishes as well. Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if there is a significant price difference or other advantages of one over the other?

From what I'm seeing pretty comparable. ROBAR in Phoenix wants $315 for NP3 and the HC I've seen online is about $300 as well. I'm kind of leaning toward the NP3 at this point.

Thanks

RTL

If you are in AZ and at Rio Salado, check out the hard chrome on the Kodiak Precision guns. The are pretty fantastic.

Prep work is the key for either finish.

I get to Phoenix a couple times a month. Thanks, I'll run out to Rio next time I go up.

I was also looking into getting my SA Loaded NP3+ or Hard Chromed. I ultimately settled on NP3+. I am waiting for my new Wilson Combat mainspring housing, hammer, and hammer strut before I send it off. I've already replaced the sear and disconnector with Wilson Bulletproof parts.

Am I correct in thinking that since the NP3+ is plating and is only .001 thick that it will not change the dimensions functionally when switching from Parkerizing?