Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Contentious People

dajarrel

I had a boss at work who was put in the position as a 'developmental' role. He was very opinionated and had a hard time being wrong. He and I clashed and I found myself in another job. The new assignment is better than the last one so no loss there. I found this quote which expressed my feelings.

”No man who is resolved to make the most of himself can

spare time for personal contention. Still less can he afford

to take the consequences.... Better give your path to a dog

than be bitten by him in contesting for the right.

Even killing the dog would not cure the bite.”

Abraham Lincoln

Makes sense to me,

dj

”No man who is resolved to make the most of himself can

spare time for personal contention. Still less can he afford

to take the consequences.... Better give your path to a dog

than be bitten by him in contesting for the right.

Even killing the dog would not cure the bite.”

Abraham Lincoln

Hmmmm...........

Did he say that before or after he started the war of Northern Agression? <_<

Last I checked it was the traitorous South that started the war!

Check again. :D

The Southern States formed a Confederacy and left the Union. Lincoln started a war to bring them back. Just like when the colonies formed a nation and left Britain. It always seems to be the one who is left behind who starts the war. Control freak thing coupled with a shrinking tax base really bothers polititians.

Last I checked it was the traitorous South that started the war!

Check again. :D

The Southern States formed a Confederacy and left the Union. Lincoln started a war to bring them back. Just like when the colonies formed a nation and left Britian. It always seems to be the one who is left behind who starts the war. Control freak thing coupled with a shrinking tax base really bothers polititians.

I had read something similar to the little tidbit below in school 20 years ago. This thread made me dig it up (5 minutes on Google!). The passage refers to what is considered the first battle of The War of the Northern Agression, Ft Sumter, SC.

Even then, several of Lincoln's closest advisors favored inaction. Complicating matters was Lincoln's decision to notify South Carolina governor Francis W. Pickens (1805-1869) of an impending expedition to provision the fort, an action that Lincoln said would not involve bringing any additional men or arms into the garrison. The state's secession government feared a ruse, and Lincoln's message to Pickens undermined any advantage of surprise the federal forces may have had. On 11 April, South Carolina requested Maj. Anderson's surrender, which he refused to do, and on 12 April, as the relief fleet neared, Confederate general G. T. Beauregard (1818-1893) opened fire on the fort. The next day, the fort surrendered and the nation was at war. Lincoln later took the position that he had maneuvered the Confederates into attacking Sumter, which allowed him to label them as traitors and aggressors. As he explained to Orville Hickman Browning (1806-1881), a longtime friend and political advisor: "They attacked Sumter--it fell, and thus, did more service than it otherwise could."1 But Lincoln spoke defensively and from hindsight.

1. Abraham Lincoln as quoted by Orville Hickman Browning in The Diary of Orville Hickman Browning, ed. Theodore Calvin Pease and James G. Randall (Springfield, Illinois: Illinois Historical Society), 1:477.

For you history and accuracy nuts, here's where I got this:

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?amme...+@lit(mcc/031))

DJ,

That's what makes the Enoverse so great.  No contentious people.  I found this on another forum filled with this type of people.

Nolan

Kinda reminds me of a non-PC quote that George (I think) made once: “Arguing with someone on the Internet is like coming in first at the Special Olympics, you may win but your still retarded”! :ph34r:

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

If the Northern armies didn't go South then there would have been no Civil War. So in that sense it was a war of Northern aggression.

Does the end justify the means?

The end being the strong Union we have today and, as a consequence of the war, the end of slavery sooner (perhaps decades) then would have happened in the CSA.

Respectfully,

jdkelly