Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder Tipping Projectiles

GregJ

Trying to set my LNL AP up for a Hornady bullet feeder, reloading 45ACP Zero 230gr projectiles. I have the Hornady bullet feeder, with the Hornday PTX expander in the powder drop. Problem is the projectiles tipping from station 4 to station 5, unless I go reaaaaal slooooow. Which defeats the purpose of having the bullet feeder.

I have seen a few posts on this, but no resolutions. Anyone come up with one?

Edited by GregJ

When I had a Lee Pro 1000 it would throw powder out of the case due to the shell plate quickly snapping around on the index. I solved the issue with damping grease.

Damping grease is the material they load into camera zoom lenses or high end audio equipment dials to get that silky smooth dial movement. It resists shearing movements. Placing a touch of the damping grease on the pivot point of the shell plate slowed it down enough that it stopped throwing powder.

$3 buys a lifetime supply and I keep finding new uses for it: http://www.dx.com/p/excellent-performance-damping-grease-50g-112202#.VlXVU7_qXVI

Edited by Blacksamwell

More flare

M-die, if dimensioned correctly. Be sure to Lok-Tite the expander in so it doesn't loosen in operation

Push the bullet down with finger—you are allowed to do things "by hand."

Invent a tool to push the bullet down

Damping grease? Do you mean "dampening?"

I use marine propeller grease or I tighten the shell plate down tight enough not to snap or I don't pull the handle down or up so fast.

If you want to get your press wet you're welcome to dampen it.

If you want to reduce the energy of the shell plate rotation to avoid throwing powder and dislodging bullets you'll need to damp it. This can be done on some presses by tightening the adjustment, heavy standard grease can help, and grease specifically designed to damp movement works especially well. :cheers:

Great tips, thanks!!

So far, I have adjusted the ball detents on the shell plate back in a little, regreased, fine tuned the taper some, and probably more important adjusted the bullet feed die again. Seems much better.

If you want to reduce the energy of the shell plate rotation to avoid throwing powder and dislodging bullets you'll need to damp it. This can be done on some presses by tightening the adjustment, heavy standard grease can help, and grease specifically designed to damp movement works especially well. :cheers:

I agree with your proper use of the term "damping", but it was funny you used it once correctly and then used "dampening" the third time in the same post.

I agree with your proper use of the term "damping", but it was funny you used it once correctly and then used "dampening" the third time in the same post.

Indeed! Nice catch. I still have to stop and think to ensure I use the teminology correctly.

Ditch the PTX expander, that is cone-shaped, you will never get good retention with it.

Use the cylindrical expander that normally comes with the bullet drop die - shown in the picture, next to the die. It will give you nice area to sit the bullet, and it will stay there!

post-21305-0-83473600-1448491175_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

Dictionaries are wonderful.

damp: slightly wet: her hair was still damp from the shower. moisture diffused through the air or a solid substance or condensed on a surface, typically with detrimental or unpleasant effects.

dampen

1 make slightly wet: the fine rain dampened her face.

2 make less strong or intense: nothing could dampen her enthusiasm.

​Shock absorbers dampen the bumps in the road.

Dictionaries are wonderful.

damp: slightly wet: her hair was still damp from the shower. moisture diffused through the air or a solid substance or condensed on a surface, typically with detrimental or unpleasant effects.

dampen

1 make slightly wet: the fine rain dampened her face.

2 make less strong or intense: nothing could dampen her enthusiasm.

​Shock absorbers dampen the bumps in the road.

Yes they are. The definition you provide for "damp" is a noun, it is being used as a verb above and damp is defined as:

a : to affect with or as if with a noxious gas : choke
b : to diminish the activity or intensity of <damping down the causes of inflation> <liquid damps out compass oscillations>
c : to check the vibration or oscillation of (as a string or voltage)

Another question (and it isn't grease related :ph34r: ) : Since using the Hornady PTX, I've noticed a lot of brass dust/particles on the shell plate. Never had this with the powder funnel. I also use the EGW-U die (due to mixed headstamp brass). I dont lube the inside of the cases, but I do spray the cases exterior with Hornady case lube before dumping them into the hopper.

Anyone else notice this?

• 1 month later...

I have them for my LNL.

DILLON AND HORNADY

If your she'll plate is snapping into detent, you identified your problem IMO.

Ok, where do I find the Mr BulleFeeder PTX for a Hornady LNL? My Google Fu is coming up empty.

I have them for my LNL.

DILLON AND HORNADY

If your she'll plate is snapping into detent, you identified your problem IMO.

Ok, where do I find the Mr BulleFeeder PTX for a Hornady LNL? My Google Fu is coming up empty.

You would have to call or email Rick.

http://www.mrbulletfeeder.biz/

I use the hornady PTX with a Mr. Bulletfeeder with zero issues. If it works for the MBF die then I don't see why it wouldn't work for the hornady die. They both work kind of the same way.

Do you have the older PTX or the newer one with a shoulder on it?

Also read this.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=414607&page=1

I use the Hornady PTX that came with the bullet feeder die. It has the shoulder. Probably 1 in 10 will tip to some degree, usually to the point where it falls horizontal just before meeting the seat/crimp die - which typically ends up in a ruined case.

I've seen that before, will re-read, tks.

I can measure my expanded case neck tonight if you want. I load .40 but I can at least tell you how much bigger it is than a sized case.

Does the hornady die tap the bullet into your expanded case mouth when the column of bullets on top of it drops?

It taps most of them in and they stay put during rotation. There is that 1 or so in 20 that it doesn't. I wonder if the brass that it doesnt tap them into well enough, has a slightly thicker wall. May check more tonight. Having the input spring hose full of bullets doesnt help tap the occasional errant bullet in either.

I played with the bell, and think it is at a sweet spot now that works most of the time. More bell causes more bullets to lean and eventually wobble out of place.

I have adjusted the shell plate ball bearings up slightly to minimize the shell abruptness when they seat in the detents - this seems to help some. I also measured the gap between the shell and shell plate. If memory serves it wasnt too bad. Will have to check again tonight, but I didnt think shims would be a big help since the gap wasnt too bad.

Edited by GregJ