Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Carbine

MANDOWN75

I've been running a Mech Tech upper on my G17 since they became available. The only ammo that has not been 100% is Blazer aluminum, everything else including lead, JHP, and ball has been great. Accuracy is very good for a short 9mm carbine. If I do my part, the carbine is capable of keeping a full mag on an IPSC target at 100 yards. I just checked my earlier post and nothing has changed. I use it in Pistol Caliber Carbine matches, bowling pins, and just having fun.

+1 on everything above.... I have even made a few hits with mine out to 175 yards at one of our carbine matches. It was pretty funny BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!then clang......

glockcarbine.jpg

Just can't bring myself to like these Mech-Tech's. If you want a carbine...buy a carbine. I'd rather have a carbine AND my Glock if the SHTF. Carbines are made as carbines...pistols are made as pistols. Just my .02 cents.

z-

i own a lot of guns that I would never use for "if shtf."

I think there are a lot of people shooting matches for enjoyment and bc they are competitive and not just in case the masses start rioting.

All that aside, yes I am aware and ready for zombies. I might have a separate long gun along with my glock in case such even t occurs. HOWEVER, my mother in law who just got a g19 and cannot afford a 9mm AR will soon be getting one of these from me so she has some more versatility. :D

I took Keen's old Glock 9mm, Mech-tech to the range. He had a C-more on top of it. I believe he had told me it wasn't sighted in, but I forgot to bring along adjustment tools. The targets we were shooting were these little chunks of 2x4's that a buddy cuts off...anywhere from 2-4 inches wide. He paints them white and sits them out toward the back of the berm. We probably start them off at about 40y, but when they start dancing around from getting hit, they end up on the berm at 50y or so.

Since I forgot the tools to adjust the C-more, I had to figure out the hold-off. It turned out to be about 5in of windage and 4in of elevation at that distance. Once I got that...I was knocking those targets all around. :)

I took Keen's old Glock 9mm, Mech-tech to the range. He had a C-more on top of it. I believe he had told me it wasn't sighted in, but I forgot to bring along adjustment tools. The targets we were shooting were these little chunks of 2x4's that a buddy cuts off...anywhere from 2-4 inches wide. He paints them white and sits them out toward the back of the berm. We probably start them off at about 40y, but when they start dancing around from getting hit, they end up on the berm at 50y or so.

Since I forgot the tools to adjust the C-more, I had to figure out the hold-off. It turned out to be about 5in of windage and 4in of elevation at that distance. Once I got that...I was knocking those targets all around. :)

So it sounds like it's a pretty cool toy.

Mine is still running great. Here's a link to a match last summer of my kid and Dad shooting it in a PCC match. It runs 100%. I won't get rid of it. Very accurate. My mod to the firing pin still holding strong. Needed to do this to fix some trigger rest issues when new.

The only problem I have ever had with the Mech Tech is it shoots so soft and quiet that the timer has trouble picking up the last shot unless the RO knows this and is in the right position, especially around a wall.

There's a new kid on the block

You can also check out the conversions bij HERA arms see http://hera-arms.com/ for more info. In this product the complete glock slides into the carbine. For some countries this makes the difference between an illegal rifle or a pistol with an buttstock.

There are also some video's on YT search for glock pdw.

Looks like great fun with some 33 mags

I used a Mech-Tech for about a year as my first 3-gun rifle. It worked fine and the matches were in pistol bays anyway, so no great distances. I sold mine when I got my first AR. Kinda wished I'd kept it. They're pretty cool.

I have owned a Mech-Tech for Glock in 40 for several years. Very reliable and accurate in 40 using a tube style red-dot scope. The only time I ever had a problem was with reloaded ammo that I did not chamber check. The chamber was pretty tight in the Mech-Tech which cause some reloads to jam in the chamber leaving the gun out of full battery. Once I started chamber checking the ammo, flawless operation. Factory ammo never has a single problem.

I have extended mags (Taylor-Freelance) that hold 24/25 and 3 of the 29 round aftermarket mags.

Edited by matt2ace

Ok, I'm sold. I'm going to get a Mech-Tech CCU in 9mm. Now I'd like some advice regarding which stock to choose. $80 for the M4 collapsible seems steep, is it worth the money? Can I just attach any AR type stock to the CCU? Does anyone have the fixed stock? Is it solid? From the pictures it almost looks like it will bend rather easily. Does the M4 stock mount solidly to the CCU? I'm also not sure if I should spend the extra money for the monorail or quad rail. I have an old Aimpoint tube type red dot that I'm not using so I figure this will work well on the CCU.

I'd appreciate any info anyone can provide about the stocks and sight rails.

Thanks,

Cuz.

I've looked at them a couple times, but have a little trouble with the price tag for something that would not get used all that much. Still, it is an interesting idea.

Let's see... $360 base price, $20 for the cheapest stock, $40 - $90 for a better stock, maybe $150 for a cheap scope. That's $530 - $600 plus shipping. Probably want a couple 33 rnd mags so add another $40. Probably looking at somewhere between $570 - $640.

Adds up pretty fast.

I've looked at them a couple times, but have a little trouble with the price tag for something that would not get used all that much. Still, it is an interesting idea.

Let's see... $360 base price, $20 for the cheapest stock, $40 - $90 for a better stock, maybe $150 for a cheap scope. That's $530 - $600 plus shipping. Probably want a couple 33 rnd mags so add another $40. Probably looking at somewhere between $570 - $640.

Adds up pretty fast.

I hear ya. Don't forget about the Glock lower you need as well. I would end up buying a frame to use with it since I don't want to keep switching back and forth.

I don't really even have a use for it, more like just a spot in the safe where it would go... It would only come out to play a handful of times a year at best. Still, they are intriguing and I haven't been able to get a 9mm AR so I believe the CCUs are available.

-Cuz

anyone have a good vendor to go through? mother in law has decided she wants one and I am not tasked with finding/buying it for her. :/

I am also in charge of finding 9mm ammo until I get my reloader all set up to do 9mm too.

Maybe getting her involved in shooting should have been the wife's project and not mine.

Thanks guys.

Let's just play "how much is this thing going to cost" for a moment.

The basic Glock unit is $360.

The muzzle break is just cosmetic, so forget that.

The fixed stock is $20.

A nylon insert for the fixed stock is $27 and a nylon cover is $20. Seems like one of these two might be worth while.

If you want the telescoping stock or M4 stock that's $80 and the buttpad for the M4 stock looks to be semi required which boosts that to $90.

Now, if you want iron sights, that's another $20, but it looks like you need an $80 mono-rail to mount them.

If you M-16 type sights, that's $90 plus the $80 monorail.

Kind of makes an optical sight seem the cheaper alternative.

So, $380 + SH gets you the bare bones CCU. Assuming you get an optical sight and skip the rails, that only leaves the stock accessories to consider. Is there any reason for spending more than say another $20 for the nylon cover with has a padded insert along the top?

As to an optical sight, you can probably get a low power scope or red dot under $100 if you try. Any suggestions?

Man, them things have gone up in price. I had bought mine a few years back for about $300. I had the old welded fixed stock. I think the polymer inserts are a must with that stock to get a good cheek weld. Really, the standard and a C-more or whatever red dot you want is enough to play with one of these things. Wish I'd kept mine, now that they have all the M4 goodies for it and it sounds like they can convert the old ones. 33 round Glock mags have gotten pricey too. Let me kick myself for selling mine a while back. The costs on this rig do add up fast if you turn it into an AR look-alike.

Hello: I have a Mech Tech in 9mm that uses the stock Glock 17 lower. It runs great. I actually won the Texas State Carbine match with it using a Weaver 1-3 scope. The money you will save on ammo is worth it to me. My AR stays in the safe for now. I am using the standard stock with a piece of 1/2" water pipe wrap on the top strut. It works alright. Another guy here has the AR type stock but I find it a little short for me. He did add the CAA check piece which helps alot. For mags I use the 33rd Glock mags with Arredondo +5 base pads which hold 37 rounds. I also use the stock mags with the Arredondo +5 base pads as well. I am thinking of getting 2 Taylor Freelance +11 base pads for the 33rd mags. That should give me 41 rounds. Lastly I did have to turn the scope mount 180 degrees so that I could get the correct eye relief. Thanks, Eric

Well, it sounds like anyone who has or had one is happy with it. I can't find a single negative comment on them anywhere so I ordered mine today. I got the basic unit with M4 stock. I'll mount an Aimpoint red dot that was collecting dust in my spare parts bin on top of it and go from there.

Thanks for all the input.

-Cuz.