Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failing case gauge question

Garmil

I'm loading .380 100 grain RN bullets in 9mm.

At 1.105 oal which is what lyman lists I can not get them to pass the gauge and they don't plunk in my barrel.

If I shorten the oal to 1.075 they pass with all other settings being equal.

The oal itself is not the issue my cause gauge is plenty deep enough for 1.105 to pass.

The bullet is very short and not seated very deep at 1.105 is it normal to have these issues due to a bullet barely being in the case? Any fix for it?

I'd like to stay loaded long as possible because they are on top of 9.5 grains of powder.

Edited by Garmil

If I shorten the oal to 1.075 they pass.

The oal is not the issue

If the OAL is Not the issue, what do you think is the issue?

Seems to me that if I shorten the OAL, and that solves the problem, that must have been The Issue?

What am I missing, here? :cheers:

BTW, if you load the bullets over 9.5 gr Powder (Major load?), and you can't shorten the OAL by

pushing hard on the bullet, they're GTG.

(As an aside, I'm not sure 100 gr bullets are legal for USPSA, even in Major???) Am I wrong on that?

I think the brass at the vase of the bullet is the issue.

1.105 is short to begin with. Shortening the oal makes a different transition between case and where the bullet is crimped is all I can come up with.

I have no issues with setback but I'm not gtg because they don't plunk.

This is a 3 gun open minor load.

If I shorten the oal to 1.075 they pass.

The oal is not the issue

If the OAL is Not the issue, what do you think is the issue?

Seems to me that if I shorten the OAL, and that solves the problem, that must have been The Issue?

What am I missing, here? :cheers:

BTW, if you load the bullets over 9.5 gr Powder (Major load?), and you can't shorten the OAL by

pushing hard on the bullet, they're GTG.

(As an aside, I'm not sure 100 gr bullets are legal for USPSA, even in Major???) Am I wrong on that?

Only Open has a minimum bullet weight of 112gr for major power factor, all other divisions have no restriction.

The problem was case flare related.

Tried many settings with my leee powder through expanding die with no luck.

Bought a lyman m die and within a few minutes had rounds passing plunk at the same oal

Can you really get 9.0gn of powder in a .380 Auto case? What gun are you using.

Sounds more like the issue was too little case mouth flare and/or not enough taper crimp to remove the flare.

Correct 9mm case. 100 grain .380 bullet. Tanfoglio open gun.

I agree, I just could not get a combo to work with the Lee die i tried various amounts of crimp and flare.

M die does a different style of flare that apparently works better when the bullet is barely seated at least in my case.

I load 100gr Xtremes in 9mm at 1.077, that same chamber can take 115 Xtremes out to 1.189. What powder are you using? I've loaded 10gr of SP2 under a 100gr at 1.077".

Curious as to which 115 extreme you can load that long. I tried some 115HP and those suckers are so short they were barely in the case at 1.165.

I have to assume RN? The HP bullets are much rounder than the RN are in Xtremes

I load 100gr Xtremes in 9mm at 1.077, that same chamber can take 115 Xtremes out to 1.189. What powder are you using? I've loaded 10gr of SP2 under a 100gr at 1.077".

Im using aa#7. Mine are rmr 100 not sure profile is any different.