Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sv mag source? or mbx mags?

tcazes

I used some old school sv mags in my trubor this past weekend for a natch and fell in love. Smoothest running mags I have touched to this date! Anyone know of a source for some old school sv tubes?

Are the mbx mags anything like them?

They do run flawlessly but I some how managed to put a big dent the length of the one of my 140s and causing them to nose dive. I am debating ordering anot her sti tube or just going mbx.

Maybe it's the polished interior of the sv I was using but just stripping rounds by hand it fed sooooo much smoother. Other than that it was no more reliable than my sti mag.

With MBX you have to keep an eye on capacity. A number of guys here get only 22 reloadable in the 140's and 28 in the 170's (either 9mm or 38SC), although I do know some folks who can get 30 9mm in a 170. You can stuff 23/29 in them, but they're not reloadable (or even loadable in the 170). Maybe it depends on what lot the mags come from.

I can get 29+1 in my 170 MBX mags at the start. Can fit 30 into the magazine itself but i can never seat it into the gun. So 30 reloadable is BS, 29 reloadable is possible but not reliable. 28 works super reliable, never had a jam since I started using it as my primary mag.

I would definitely recommend them.

I can actually get 30 in the mbx mag, and get it in the gun (SV steel grip) but you gotto PUSH SO DARN HARD so worried about everything, and getting 30 in there takes multiple retries and lots of stacking them after every 2-3 rounds I gotto use the uplula. this is with dawson basepad and grams spring.

Im with robot, 28 is sweeet limit, my SV tubes takes 29 easy in comparison. A buddy actually has a 30 reloadable with SV tube... pretty sick, (38sc)

I can get 29 reloadable 38 super in the two 170mm mags I have, but no way is 30 going in there without some spring cutting and maybe some mag body tweaking. I haven't used them a lot but so far they seem reliable with no issues and I'll take 29 reliable. BTW - one fits the mag gauge with maybe .005" clearance, the other about .020" clearance.

How did you get the Dawson base pad on the MBX mag? I tried and it would have taken modification of the MBX base pad lips to get a Dawson base pad installed.

How did you get the Dawson base pad on the MBX mag? I tried and it would have taken modification of the MBX base pad lips to get a Dawson base pad installed.

Yes it did ;)

I used 18V powertools, too lazy for file, it was a lot of material.

I can get 30 in my MBX 170 by hand without much trouble. Saying it's 30 reloadable might be a stretch, but it seats no problem with just a bit of extra push. 30+1 starts have never been an issue with mine.

I've done 30 round table starts with it, but no mid stage 30 round reloads - I can only remember one thing at a time. :D

Edited by fmj3

I get 29 reloadable in both my 170 MBX mags with stock springs, followers and pads, but no way in hell I can get 30 in. Doesn't bother me one bit though, they've been 100% reliable so far and that's far more important to me at least.

If you can't get 30 in an MBX big stick or 24 in the 140mag then you obviously didn't watch the video on HOW TO LOAD THEM ON MBX's website. All my MBX 170s hold 30, ALL can, there is method to the madness.

I run all MBX and will never buy another STI tube, ever.

Really? All of us out here with these mags HAVE seen the video, use the Uplula as recommended, etc. etc. blah blah. We're still getting 22/28 capacity. And, as I stated earlier, I know some folks who get the higher capacity. Nobody I know has 30 reloadable, though. Doesn't everybody know that mags are variable in their capacity?

It's nice you have the ones that load 29/30. For those that don't, it's a real disappointment.

• 1 month later...