Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

U-haul Rates

Jeeper

I hate that the rates for a a uhaal are three times as expensive going one way versus going the exact opposite. What a rip. It is 1200 to get to houston and 3100 to go back!!!!

Anyone think of a cheap way to get a butt ton of crap to phoenix from Houston?

When I moved from Kansas to Wisconsin I bought a 69 passenger school bus from a neighboring school district. I stripped the seats, bought a couple of rolls of 24" metal flashing to cover the windows and a couple of load bars, and loaded it to the ceiling. I hauled over 8000 pounds in it, and pulled a loaded pickup weighing almost 8000 pounds. It was slow, but cost effective. When I got to Wisconsin, I sold the bus for more than double what I paid for it. That's one option for you.

Rent it locally in Phx with an unlimited mileage setup and drive it round trip. You don't have to tell them what you are doing, or where you are going. Even with present gas prices, that will still be cheaper (if you don't value your time that is).

--

Regards,

If a lot of your "crap" is books don't even bother. They are a pain in the arse to move and unless we are talking collectible first editions here you can sell them and repurchase those you need in PHX much cheaper than you can move the damn things.

Learned that trick from a friend who moved constantly for many years during college, grad school, post-docs, etc.

UHaul prices it's one way rentals by the number of vehicles in the destination city. Phoenix has an excess number of vehicles so they charge extra to leave one there. Check Scottsdale or Tucson, unload the UHaul in Phoenix and then drop it off in Tucson, etc...

Nolan

UHaul prices it's one way rentals by the number of vehicles in the destination city.  Phoenix has an excess number of vehicles so they charge extra to leave one there.  Check Scottsdale or Tucson, unload the UHaul in Phoenix and then drop it off in Tucson, etc...

Nolan

Nolan is spot on about that! When I moved out here (Oregon) from Montana it would have cost me TWICE as much to drop it off in McMinnville than in Portland... 40 miles away! :o:blink::huh:

Ed

UHaul prices it's one way rentals by the number of vehicles in the destination city.  Phoenix has an excess number of vehicles so they charge extra to leave one there.  Check Scottsdale or Tucson, unload the UHaul in Phoenix and then drop it off in Tucson, etc...

Nolan

I know that is how they do them. I checked every local city and they are all the same. I could save a bunch if I go another 150 miles which i might do.