Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I get a bullet feeder?

The only advise I will add is DON'T buy the mini mr bullet feeder, I would have been better flushing that $147.00 down the toilet for what I've experienced.

Had to be better than the Lee bullet feeder, what was the problem you had?

I had plans on moving from my LNL to a 650 or 1050, but decided to order a Mr Bullet feeder instead and use the LNL for now. I ordered from Shooters Connection this morning, it shipped this morning, and I'll likely have it tomorrow :cheers:

MBF is way to go. As someone said, the drop tube has to to move up and down freely. One tip that helped me getting it running %100, if your spring leans the drop tube back towards the back of the machine, multiple bullets will drop. If you can't get the collator adjusted to remove the spring tension, try using some fishing line run through a couple loops of the spring and use packing tape to secure the fishing line to another part of the machine like the brass drop tube to straighten out the spring. You will love the MBF.

MBF shipped immediately and arrived today! Excellent service from shooters connection. Surprisingly I was able to get this thing set up super quick. In about a half hour I had it running like a top and popping out ammo. VERY pumped up about this and looking forward to cranking out some ammo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBF shipped immediately and arrived today! Excellent service from shooters connection. Surprisingly I was able to get this thing set up super quick. In about a half hour I had it running like a top and popping out ammo. VERY pumped up about this and looking forward to cranking out some ammo!

I only said it was surprising to set up because generally I'm not worth a damn setting this stuff up myself! I'm guessing most people would have an even easier time than I did!

Edited by shooterDrew

I have been seriously pondering getting one on my 650. I reload 9mm almost all the time. Does it include everything needed with the package?

Yep I only ordered the mbf from shooters connection. When it showed up I unboxed it and set it up while watching the DAA videos on YouTube. Only issues I had were getting it mounted to my case feeder bowl. But that was just cause it's awkward. Wld have been helpful to have a 2nd pair of hands to hold things steady while I got that squared away. After that it was super easy.

I have been seriously pondering getting one on my 650. I reload 9mm almost all the time. Does it include everything needed with the package?

Yep everything you need is there.

Collator

Drop tube

Bullet dropper die

Powder funnel for your dillon powder measure for better expanding

Here's mine on a 650 loading 38 super major.

https://vimeo.com/140249591

Edited by BeerBaron

Yep everything you need is there.

Collator

Drop tube

Bullet dropper die

Powder funnel for your dillon powder measure for better expanding

Here's mine on a 650 loading 38 super major.

https://vimeo.com/140249591

Very nice Baron. I use the Dillon die set. I have station 3 open which I'm thinking I'd use the same setup as you. So is station 4 your seating die and 5 the crimp die? I'm not the most mechanically inclined person so was it a task to setup?

Yep, you've got it.

S1 deprime and size

S2 prime, then powder and expand case mouth

S3 mr bf

S4 seat

S5 crimp

I'm running lee dies on that particular tool head but with dillon powder drop. Your stations will be the same with dillon dies.

I would rate it fairly easy to install.

It will probably take 30-60 min to get running.

There's some great youtube vids on setup by double alpha.

One thing that was backwards in the instructions with mine was mounting location. For a 650 you put it on the left of the collator (as in opposite to the side the handle is on). My book said right side.

They are a nice running piece. Certainly up there to match the reliability of the 650.

I purposely didn't reply to this thread as I saw a lot of great advice being given, I was just waiting to see how long it took you get the MBF. Glad to see you are liking it. Remember to keep the nose guide clean, or you'll get upside down bullets. I occasionally blow the whole thing out with air to get all the crap out.

I can comfortably run 100 in 5 min. Could go quicker but my stamina drops off if I go faster.

I'd say 1000 an hour assuming you have primer tubes filled is a conservative figure.

With the bullet and case feeder being basically 100% reliable the limits become:

How fast and for how long you can handle pull.

How fast you can refil the primers

Both the casefeeder and bulletfeeder can support way over 1000 an hour.

I find around 800/hr is a really nice pace. I generally just do 300-500 round bursts but have done the odd thousand.

I can comfortably run 100 in 5 min. Could go quicker but my stamina drops off if I go faster.

I'd say 1000 an hour assuming you have primer tubes filled is a conservative figure.

With the bullet and case feeder being basically 100% reliable the limits become:

How fast and for how long you can handle pull.

How fast you can refil the primers

Both the casefeeder and bulletfeeder can support way over 1000 an hour.

I find around 800/hr is a really nice pace. I generally just do 300-500 round bursts but have done the odd thousand.

That all sounds totally accurate. Since this set up is still new to me I have not pushed extremes but I certainly am the limiting factor (rather than the machine) when it comes to hourly rates. This set up is great. I can't really walk by it in the garage without popping out a few rounds- haha! Love it.

I have the Lee bullet feeder and got it running well by modifying the fingers. However, it blocks the view of the case powder level. Perhaps I'm a little paranoid, but I like to look into each case to check powder level before placing the bullet on the shell casing. For that reason, I took it off. Besides that, the stock tube only held 25 bullets so it took as much time to reload the bullet feeder as it took to place them on by hand. Do other brands have the same characteristics?

nope. the mr bullet feeder has 3 big differences to the lee. 2 are good one is less so.

1. it feeds bullets from a collator (so you just dump in handfulls and it sorts them right side up). or the mini mr bullet feeder comes with magazines (like the lee case feeder) to hold 100 at a time if you want to hand feed it.

2. it feeds the bullets to the case through a dropper die. so it doesn't obstruct view of the case mouth or shell plate at any time.

3. because of how it feeds it does not feed and seat in the same station/step. so you loose one die space by adding it. This is not such a problem on a 5 station press but pretty much rules it out on 4 station presses unless you go to a seat and crimp in a single step.

it's miles ahead of the lee setup (I had the lee on my old loadmaster) but it's also $500 vs what $50 for the lee? it seriously is 10 times better though. more like 20 times. so 'value' is actually better.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have one but I read the rifle bullet feeder is bit more difficult to get adjusted 100%.

The pistol feeder seems easier to get adjusted properly.

It isn't really harder to adjust than the pistol ones, just has a couple more length options to accommodate longer projectiles. I've found the MBF dies to be extremely easy to adjust and they work extremely well with cast bullets. The instructions for setup and adjustment are easy to follow and Rick has videos on line too. If you have ANY issues at all he will take your phone call and walk you through it. Really nice guy.