Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LM BCGs - JP vs Seekins

Langenator

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Just an update on the aim lightweight nib bcg. Would not reccomend them. The nickel boron coating is very weak and starting to peel off in some places after a few thousand rounds.

That's a bummer. I have one of the AIM LW NiB. It's holding up so far, but it only has about 400rds on it. I also have a couple of the AIM nitride LW's. They have good CS, I'd email them and see if they will swap it out for a nitride. Where is it peeling?

Just an update on the aim lightweight nib bcg. Would not reccomend them. The nickel boron coating is very weak and starting to peel off in some places after a few thousand rounds.

I put one of the AIM LW NIB units in my son's rifle. I was surprised by how much less slippery and shiny it was than another NIB BCG I have. It only has a few hundred on it and looks fine but I'll keep a closer eye on it now.

I did notice the staining on mine as well. It's been that way since the first time out and it doesn't seem to come off. I can live with the staining, but there should be no peeling. Peeling on the bottom of the carrier shouldn't affect function, but it's still disappointing. I'm more concerned with peeling inside of the carrier where the gas rings ride.

On the bottom. Plus the whole thing doesn't wipe clean to a nice shine anymore looks dingy even clean.

My 2 cents I been running Vodoo bolts and they clean super easy and have the good extractor rings in them for the money their bolts are GTG

look at DSG arms for them sold with or without pins.

always wanted to try a Ti firing pin do you all think their worth the price I had read that the tips are subject to break?

My 2 cents I been running Vodoo bolts and they clean super easy and have the good extractor rings in them for the money their bolts are GTG

look at DSG arms for them sold with or without pins.

always wanted to try a Ti firing pin do you all think their worth the price I had read that the tips are subject to break?

Ti pins are nice and reduce the chance of slam fires with the faster closing speed of low mass carriers. If your rifle is substantially over-gassed, yes, you can break tips. If your firing pin retainer (cotter pin) is mangled after 1K or so...you will have a good chance of breaking a Ti pin. If your system is properly balanced, a Ti pin will last for 10s of thousands of rounds. I have one that is past 50K and looks pristine.

I, like Mark, have a TiN firing pin I dropped in around 2003. It is still going strong after all these years. It is in my practice rifle so I really only have a loose idea of how many rounds, but it is on it's 4 th barrel.

Riddle me this, why does a TiN pin last forever in a 2011, but all sorts of folks say they wear out in a couple of hundred rounds in an AR??? Preposterous!!!! They way out last several barrels!!!

Dang no I want a TiN pin

What brand is recommended?

To what end? Is something wrong with the rifle or do you just want to drop $20 to modify a working rifle? Are you getting constant slamfires?

I've never slamfired on *any* of my rifles and not on my JP LMOS equipped rifle either.

Edited by SubOrbital

• 4 weeks later...

Does the JP enhanced bolt weigh less than a standard one? How much lighter is a JP LMOS compared to a regular BCG? 50% lighter?

Steel LMOS weighs under 7oz without bolt, cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retaining pin. Assembled it's going to be in the neighborhood of 25% lighter.