Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a place in our sport for rifle shots beyond 60 yards?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Is there a place in our sport for rifle shots beyond 60 yards?" Yes there is. Is there a place for 600 yard rifle shots? Yes there is!. Striking a balance between close range, practical range, and long range is the key. Does shooting paper at 25 yards or closer make much sense for a rifle, I don't think so. But neither does pushing extreme distances in a action sport. So I would think the majority of rifle shooting should be between 75 and 400 yards. Short of that let the pistols and shotguns play and past that let the DM types play. All that said I love RM3G and wouldn't spend that much travel money to go anywhere that didn't have some LR!!!!

Matches could be held anywhere with pistol bays. Good rifle steel is expensive and consumable, pistol steel last very much longer. Pistol and PCC with the greatly reduced power and range presents less risk. Easy targets mean shorter time spent shooting, shorter stage times, more shooters through per hour, more participants can be accommodated in the match, better economically for the match.

People already do this. It's called Cowboy Action Shooting.

Having just shot Fallen Brethern where the longest shot was 600 (and I hit it on the first shot, I placed way above my normal on that stage). I have to say that yes, 60+ yard targets should be the norm. I think a good rifle target starts at 150 and just moves out from there. I love running and gunning so I won't say close (contact to 20 yards) shouldn't exist, but to me that's the realm of the pistol and shotgun. Though shooting clays quickly at 25-50 yards is really really really entertaining.

I think if you aren't pushing the rifle out past 300 yards at least once in a match you're doing a disservice to the platform.

• 3 weeks later...