Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II Extreme vs. Stock III Extreme vs. Stock III

Holbzz

Hi Guys!

Long time lurker - first time poster :)

Last weekend i had the pleasure of testing the Stock III at my local firing range.

What i really liked about the Stock III is how it fits my hand, and that it was a litte front heavy. It was very easy to control while double tapping, as it let me back on the sights very quickly.

The only thing i found slightly dissapointing was the trigger DA and the trigger reset. -Apart from this, the gun was perfect.

Does the extreme model stock III adress this "issue", and how does this compare to the Stock II Extreme?

I'm fortunate enough to have a brand new Stock II Extreme available to me at a rediculously low price.

But before i order the Stock II Extreme, i wonder how it compares to a Stock III Extreme / the Stock III that i tried last week,

Is it front heavy / fires flat like the stock III? How's the ergonomics and triggers between the guns?

The gun will primarily be used for IPSC's Production class.

The big question is if i should buy the Stock II now, or if i should wait 2 months for the Stock III Extreme (only $300 cheaper than the offer i have on the Stock II).

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Stock II and III should have the same grip feel and same trigger feel and parts. The Xtreme guns do have the Xtreme trigger group parts which will improve the DA and AS trigger pull. You can also get a standard gun and replace the parts yourself, along with polishing. That is the route I went with my Stock II, and it was a LOT cheaper than a Stock II Xtreme.

The Stock III is about .25 inches longer on the slide, barrel and dust cover, so it will have more weight forward. I had a stock III for a few months and found it too muzzle heavy for a minor PF 9mm gun. I feel like the Stock II is slightly more balanced and quicker in the transitions. Also the Stock III has a longer slide and straight barrel, meaning the slide is heavier than the slide on the stock II because of it's shorter slide and bull (cone) barrel. The heavier barrel may make the gun feel like it shoots with more of a push than a snap of recoil, but I like the faster cycling of the lighter slide. It helps me get my sights back on target faster, and reduces muzzle dip.

Granted... much of this is personal opinion, so in the end of the day, you can be very competitive with either of your options. Weather you buy the pre done Xtreme model or do the work yourself will depend on your budget, timing and technical abilities.

Oh, and welcome BTW!

Edited by EngineerEli

Stock II and III should have the same grip feel and same trigger feel and parts. The Xtreme guns do have the Xtreme trigger group parts which will improve the DA and AS trigger pull. You can also get a standard gun and replace the parts yourself, along with polishing. That is the route I went with my Stock II, and it was a LOT cheaper than a Stock II Xtreme.

Plus 1. Had the same thing done with mine (I'm not mechanically inclined so I had a gunsmith do it) and he got it down to a 6.5lbs double and a 2.25 lbs single action.

The only difference between the extreme and the factory models is basically you're getting your Tanfo tuned by the smiths at the factory. Yea the extremes come with some EG parts already but you can install every one of those yourself. And the Extremes have fancy colors. I've owned every competition Tanfo I think as far as the steel framed guns go and they are all good guns. My Stock 2 is my favorite but my Limited Pro is freaking growing on me. I think it's underrated. I wish I would have gotten one a long time ago, lol

OP is playing by IPSC rules!

A lot of us USPSA shooters glance over the fact that you are an IPSC shooter... (I did, sorry) Make sure you take whatever we say and double check it against your rule book so you don't run into any surprises.

Edited by EngineerEli

Hi guys!

Thank you very much for the response!

From what you tell me, i think the Stock II Extreme is the way to go! I really like the finishing on the extreme version, and all that comes with it.

Looking forward to getting this gun, and comparing it to a tuned SP-01 Shadow i have been shooting recently! I hope the extreme is as good as i think it is.

Again, Thanks a lot for the input! :)

I think it is allowed for tuning/changing of parts on IPSC-approved production guns, as long as the parts changed comes from the same manufacturer as the gun. Atleast that's what i've heard. :)

I'll keep you posted on the comparison!

Where are you? If you're in Australia the s2 or s2e is the way to go as its 4.75inch like the s3. In other markets s2 is 4.5inch and s3 is 4.75.

You can buy a s2 or s3 and fit all the extreme parts. You cannot fit any wolf springs or any henning parts as to stay production compliant all the tuning parts must come from the oem.

These days that's not such a problem as you can get basically every part you could want from tanfoglio/extreme.

In the past it was a hassle for things like hammer springs etc.

If you like the finishes on the extremes they are a good option. :)

Hi,

I'm situated in Norway! ;)

Because of the now weak NOK currency compared to €, my cheapest alternative is now going with the Stock II Extreme. -Though I like the HC finish on Stock II very much.

Also sending the gun to a gunsmith for tuning is very expensive here in Norway (Heck, Everything is expensive in Norway!).

Recently I have shot a Limited Custom, and that was just a perfect fit! I especially like the big safeties on it, and the size. I reckon the S II is a bit smaller?

Anybody compared S II E to a tuned Shadow?