Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apeiro - still Schuemann?

DEP44

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not......... I will take a look at some though. You use them?

I was thinking of trying some 200g BB. And maybe some zero FMJ's...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I'm working my way through 3,000 of them - they shoot good. Going to try some Zeros too at some point when I'm running low on the SNS.

To be honest it WAS a bit of a letdown at first. When I first started to read about the Apeiro, I'd never heard of Schuemann (I'm not a 1911 guy), but sources seemed to consider it a plus or even the determining factor. When I got mine I noticed they did not look like the pictures I'd seen, so I got a bit worried. In reality, I was just assuming I got inferior barrels. I got to play with them last Sunday and they seem to work well. Unless I would have an opportunity to shoot them side by side (Schuemann vs non-Schuemann) there is no way to tell which is better. Schuemann seems to have a good reputation.

I just have them sighted in, maybe next time I'll shoot a few rounds from a rest, which doesn't really say much as some barrels simply don't like some projectiles. On top of that I reload using mixed brass, which doesn't contribute to bulls eye accuracy. I left the range satisfied and happy. For the first time ever I was able to shoot in some kind of cadence and hit my 5.5" target at 25y. Before I had to find the targets again through the sights; I'm not a racer by nature. At this point I wouldn't exchange the barrels if it was an option.

Btw... I paid 2250/ea but the price was not different from the previous Schuemann price.

Picture from the day I got them.

post-6746-0-54553300-1444949429_thumb.jp

Certainly less appealing, but honestly from my understanding STI was not taking orders for the Apeiro for a while simply because they couldn't get barrels from Schuemann. A local competition smith who also like to use Schuemann also mentioned that it's really difficult actually getting barrels from them (I think he mentioned that he'd had orders in for nearly a year once before they all just showed up at once).

With that in mind, it may have come down to either discontinuing the model or finding a new barrel supplier. They always say that most of the accurate in a barrel comes from how its fit rather than the brand, and it's the same people fitting them, so I'd personally still be OK with an Apeiro with the new barrels.

That said, had I bought one EXPECTING an AET and not gotten it, it would admittedly be a bit of a letdown.

The fitting is the same bec it wa built by sti but the barrels will never be and the schuemann aet is far more superior than the sti korean made barrels.

To be honest it WAS a bit of a letdown at first. When I first started to read about the Apeiro, I'd never heard of Schuemann (I'm not a 1911 guy), but sources seemed to consider it a plus or even the determining factor. When I got mine I noticed they did not look like the pictures I'd seen, so I got a bit worried. In reality, I was just assuming I got inferior barrels. I got to play with them last Sunday and they seem to work well. Unless I would have an opportunity to shoot them side by side (Schuemann vs non-Schuemann) there is no way to tell which is better. Schuemann seems to have a good reputation.

I just have them sighted in, maybe next time I'll shoot a few rounds from a rest, which doesn't really say much as some barrels simply don't like some projectiles. On top of that I reload using mixed brass, which doesn't contribute to bulls eye accuracy. I left the range satisfied and happy. For the first time ever I was able to shoot in some kind of cadence and hit my 5.5" target at 25y. Before I had to find the targets again through the sights; I'm not a racer by nature. At this point I wouldn't exchange the barrels if it was an option.

Btw... I paid 2250/ea but the price was not different from the previous Schuemann price.

Picture from the day I got them.

Good price.

I don't find the AET to be any better. I find it to be more finicky about feeding and bullets that it shoots accurately.

My AET eats everything, lead, molly coated, copper coated, and fmj's and it even eats BULDGED cases bec its fluted chamber. No need to put the brass in the Lee buldge buster when using an aet barrel hehe

I don't find the AET to be any better. I find it to be more finicky about feeding and bullets that it shoots accurately.

My AET eats everything, lead, molly coated, copper coated, and fmj's and it even eats BULDGED cases bec its fluted chamber. No need to put the brass in the Lee buldge buster when using an aet barrel hehe

My Apeiro 9mm AET was my first STI. I ran some loads w Xtreme bullets that shot 4" at 25 yards out of my Glock through it. Couldn't get 4" at 7 yards. I was pissed.

My Apeiro 9mm AET was my first STI. I ran some loads w Xtreme bullets that shot 4" at 25 yards out of my Glock through it. Couldn't get 4" at 7 yards. I was pissed.

I don't know about that but this is mine

9afa9986cf2c388acad6ad33bb69b665.jpg

726651b7823954dc9e95674e54c18243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that but this is mine

9afa9986cf2c388acad6ad33bb69b665.jpg

726651b7823954dc9e95674e54c18243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Xtreme Bullets? I can get that w coated bullets but Xtremes have shot terribly.

pries81: IM sent.

I've only taken them out once so far, I'm hoping to get some range time this weekend and test some loads. The first impression however is very good, the lack of recoil in especially the 9mm is ridiculous!

These are my first 2011's, so I can't compare to anything but a plain 1911.

• 2 months later...

Update: I'm quite happy with the accuracy so far. The .45 does not cycle Xtreme 185 FP reliably, but 200gr HP is as good as it gets for my skills at 25y offhand (20 rounds, the 1 flyer is operator error).

post-6746-0-16346000-1451256350_thumb.jp

Speaking of new Apeiros, what's the story with forward slide serrations? Is that a new thing? Old thing? Special order thing?

Do you mean the absence of them? They have never came with them. The one thing that kept me personally from ever considering buying one.... Unless you have seen that the new ones have started coming with them, which would be amazing!

Speaking of new Apeiros, what's the story with forward slide serrations? Is that a new thing? Old thing? Special order thing?

Do you mean the absence of them? They have never came with them. The one thing that kept me personally from ever considering buying one.... Unless you have seen that the new ones have started coming with them, which would be amazing!

No they don't have any. However, Atlas Gunworks has one for sale that he added forward serrations.

http://atlasgunworks.com/new-guns/in-stock-new-guns-atlas.html

I do find it interesting how critical people are becoming of the STI barrels now that they are no longer offering the Apeiro with the Schumen, when I hear next to no complaints about the same barrels in DVCs, Edges, Eagles, or any of the other very popular offerings STI makes using these same barrels... (which regardless of origin, I'm lead to believe are quite high quality)

Edited by EngineerEli