Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 sticking on 9mm

Hello all.

I've been loading 38 supercomp for months on my new 650. I love it! Such a great setup. I just switched over to 9mm and now I'm having the issues with the brass sticking on the flair/powder dropper. Same one from 38 super. Am I using the wrong setup? Why is it sticking? My brass is very clean. I deprime/size everything. Stainless steel pin tumble. Then once dry,toss in a box until I'm ready to load. Any suggestions at all?

I'll try to polish it. See if that helps.

Case lube... will it affect my loads? What's the story with that?

case lube will greatly smooth out the whole operation. one shot wont affect powder. Some people put brass in a bag give it a spray and shake it around. I just fill up the case feeder spray a bit and move it around with my hand. helps a bunch.

Get a can of the one shot aerosol.

Chuck your clean brass in the box or a big zip lock bag. Give 3 quick bursts over 200 cases or so then shake em around. It's just a very light coating. Don't worry about it going inside the cases. It doesn't hurt anything.

Will make loading much smoother.

No need to tumble or clean it off. It'll mostly be gone after loading.

It'll sort out that sticking. :)

Edited by BeerBaron

Well I'm going to polish the tube too. See what that does. I broke the auto index today. Snap. Spair parts kit to the rescue! :-) going to take it all apart and go from there clean everything really well too. I have lots of powder in random places.

I loaded for quite a while without lube with no problems on 3 different progressives and a turret. But once I tried it I'll never load without it. The dillon lube is great (lanolin and alcohol) but if you use it you really need to clean it off afterwards or you get sticky brass. The oneshot in the aerosol cans though is nearly as good and if you just add a light spray it doesn't need to be tumbled off. Brass will be a tiny bit slippery but not tacky or sticky.

It's so easy. It seriously adds about 1 min to loading of 200 rounds but makes loading so much smoother.

Every now and then I run some brand new 38 super starline (as my used brass dwindles) and I've sometimes not lubed. The clunk as it releases off the expander funnel is pronounced (and mine is polished). Add the tiniest spray and it's smooth as silk again. :)

I believe stainless pin wet tumbling is the cause of the sticking on the powder funnel / expander, as someone mentioned earlier. Carbon build-up helps lubricate the inside of the brass and when it's removed, the brass will stick on the powder funnel.

What works for me is dry tumbling for 30 minutes in corn cob dosed with Nu Finish or Dillon polish after wet pin cleaning.

The only issues I have had are:

1) 9x19 is often more difficult to size that any other cartridge--a very small spritz of case lube solve that problem

2) Cases sticking to the expander (as you describe), caused by over-cleaning the cases (not having any of the natural dry lube in the case neck) or virgin cases (same issue) or a very rough expander that needs to be polished or sent back to the company due to poor machining.

The oneshot will cure it more than the polishing. Even polished to a mirror with very clean brass you can still get it sticking. You only need a tiny amount of oneshot and you don't need to do anything to remove it. Once you try it you'll wonder why you losded so long without it. :)

Sounds good. The expander was gnarled up from brass and I had brass shavings all over my press and my bullet bin. I was thinking a polish would stop it, and it has helped w the brass shavings but I'm still planning on getting some one shot

I believe stainless pin wet tumbling is the cause of the sticking on the powder funnel / expander, as someone mentioned earlier. Carbon build-up helps lubricate the inside of the brass and when it's removed, the brass will stick on the powder funnel.

Mine did the exact same thing. I had vertical streaks of brass all over my expanding die that I'd have to sand off every few thousand rounds.

I started wet tumbling without the pins, and the problem went away. And the outsides of the cases are pretty much as clean as with the pins.

Edited by FTDMFR