Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC 38 Super reviews?

slinginlead

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went and shot about another 250 rounds in the gun and no more issues. Shoots like a dream. It does need some break in and it will run just fine. In the picture, the head shots were from 25 yards with a 28 round magazine. These were not slow fired but semi fast. The body shots were again from a 28 round magazine with .2 splits from 15 yards. Finally had fun shooting an open gun again that did not jam or hiccup while shooting.

post-43720-0-94453100-1444622502_thumb.j

Glad I ran into this thread as my wife just ordered one for me. Was wondering if there are any follow ups to those that are having FTFeed issues and extraction. Wondering as the round count increased does the DVC works it kinks out. I'm a firm believer on the Aftec extractor as all my 2011/1911s have them. So I plan to swap that out regardless.

To those that are having FTFeed, you using 38 Super or 38 SC brass?

Does the DVC prefers .355 or .356 pills? Guessing .355. Planning on using Montana Gold 124gr. Got a few powder to work with. Will plan to do the initial testing and sight in with some AA ammo.

Thanks

I'm using 38 Super Comp - last session was all new starline brass run through a U die. 125 grain zero JHP. Mimic OAL of AA but not the PF (I put 9.3 grains of 3N38 and that gets around 170PF). Keep in mind I put a lighter recoil spring in the gun and that may have something to do with the FTF, but I'll shoot another session before changing anything else around. It ran the last 100-120 or so without any issues.

very happy to hear kernel and slingin with no problems!!! I still haven't touched mine since first outing a few months ago, slight chance i'll be able to totally clean, lube and try again this weekend and will report back if that happens.

Went and shot about another 250 rounds in the gun and no more issues. Shoots like a dream. It does need some break in and it will run just fine. In the picture, the head shots were from 25 yards with a 28 round magazine. These were not slow fired but semi fast. The body shots were again from a 28 round magazine with .2 splits from 15 yards. Finally had fun shooting an open gun again that did not jam or hiccup while shooting.

As well, I've put a couple hundred rounds of major in practice now with no flaws of any kind. Hopefully I'll shoot a match with it next month.

Just a little update. Since the last email I posted. I shot a NRA Action pistol match and there was not one hiccup. Then I shot a steel match with it the next day and there was one FTfeed, but I believe it was my fault not the guns.

Loving the gun, it seems to like my 169 PF and my N105 powder. Glad I spent the money and I am very happy.

Shooting Gator this weekend in the rain so we will see how it performs.

• 1 month later...

Had the chance to work up a load and sight it in. So far the gun runs good. No issues as of yet. Only have put about 150 rounds through it though. The one issue I had was the 170mm magazine not feeding correctly when loaded with 26 rounds. The feed lips were way out of spec. They are within specs now and will give it another go next week.. The gun came advertised to be tuned for 38 SC brass but 38 Super brass hasn't given me any issues. Do plan to use 38 SC as my main case and I will change the extractor to an Aftec one eventually.

Went out yesterday to sight in and find out which one of my 2 loads was more accurate. Noticed in the video that I have too much muzzle raise still. I'm shooting about 174-175 PF. The load I picked, don't feel comfortable pushing it any further. I'm getting used to using the pedal the gun came with but I think I'm going to replace it. Keep hearing to change recoil springs, was wondering where to start. Thinking 10# variable.

Edited by MrRick

I'm using 7.7gr of CFE-P or 7.8gr of BE-86 pushing Zeros 125gr JHP for a PF of 174 on both. I think is more of grip thing. Tried today and it was better but the slide is not locking back on the last round.

I'm using 7.7gr of CFE-P or 7.8gr of BE-86 pushing Zeros 125gr JHP for a PF of 174 on both. I think is more of grip thing. Tried today and it was better but the slide is not locking back on the last round.

You don't want the slide to lock back do you? Most Open/Limited guns are set up to NOT Lock back. I know the followers in my MBX mags are designed not to lock back. ;)

I don't want it to lock back but while I'm tuning this thing, I want it to function like it should. Once I have the gun running like I want, then I will disable it. One thing for sure I need is a bigger thumb rest. My hammer thumbs can barely fit on it.

Edited by MrRick

• 2 weeks later...

So got to fire it today with the 9# spring and the thumb rest (GoGun one). Definitely made the it shoot flatter. The issue now is that I'm getting about 90% FTEject. I'm using a shock buff to. Should I remove it?

So got to fire it today with the 9# spring and the thumb rest (GoGun one). Definitely made the it shoot flatter. The issue now is that I'm getting about 90% FTEject. I'm using a shock buff to. Should I remove it?

Did you remove it and go test again? I would expect it to run just fine with the 9 pound and no buffer...

Took it out again. It shot a lot better but still have issues with extraction/cycling and some feeding issues. I'm thinking is my loads and using 38 Super brass. Going to wait till the brown truck of happiness arrives with my 38 SC brass and MG 115s. Currently using my BE-86 loads with a PF of 174 using Zero 125gr. For the MG 115s I will do a load with HS-6 that I finally found locally. Let's see how it goes from there.

Oh another thing that I noticed, the extractor has some play on it.

Edited by MrRick

I put the aftec in my DVC, shooting 9mm Major and it is cycling better, still need to break in the aftec and have not had a chance to get to the range again. Keep the updates coming, I love my STI DVC, can't wait until the first spring shoot.

Finally got to chrono and try out new combination. 38 SC brass, MG 115gr JHP and HS-6. That's really nice shooting and the DVC performed pretty good. Next step is to load a few more at 9.5 and see if they feed like they did with the 5 rounds in the magazine.

HS-6.pdf

Edited by MrRick