Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Shooting High

Thaunk

I had Zev do a number of upgrades to my G34 including a new adjustable rear sight. Got it back last week and put 100 rounds or so through it. It appeared to shoot high so I adjusted the rear sight down as far as it'll go. That didn't fix it. Assuming I'm not the problem I'm thinking to have the rear slot machined so that the sight will sit lower. Is that a reasonable plan? Is there something else to try? Are there legal issues with having somebody who isn't a licensed gun smith work on the slide?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, was it zeroed before the mods?

I would assume so, it wasn't mucked with in any way prior to sending it to Zev. It was completely stock prior to sending it off.

.300 tall sight is normally used for that dawson adjustable

I'll happily give that a try. What width front sight?

Edited by Thaunk

.300 tall sight is normally used for that dawson adjustable

I have the Dawson adjustable on two different Glocks and the .300 is just barely tall enough on both of them. Front sights are relatively cheap and relatively easy to install.

Dawson apparently goes from .300 upto .470. And they are cheap enough that if I need to buy a couple and experiment that's pretty do-able. I may have missed this somewhere, but what width? Is that a personal preference thing?

I could be wrong without doing the math but I don't think the .300 is going to be enough for 2" to 3" at 10 yards. I am currently dealing with a problematic 34 myself. Dawson adjustable rear bottomed out and the .300 at 25 yards and I am 6.5" high with factory 147s. With 115s I am about 4.5" high. Just dealt with about 30 new 34s also and they ranged from about 2" high at best to 8" high at worst at 25 with factory night sights. I have tried switching out different factory locking blocks with no success. If I put my work 34 barrel in my personal gun it drops the POI about 2". Currently I have a match fit bar sto on order and am hoping that will drop it because I really don't want to go any taller than the .300.

Math is not my strong suit by any means. But hopefully this works. They make taller than .300 though I imagine at some point the gun will have issues fitting into a holster. If it doesn't, somebody will get a cheap glock front sight. Should this fail, who did you order the rear sight from?

I know when I did the math on Dawson's Web site to move my gun to a center hold at 25 was going to require moving to like a .350 and that would have still required my rear to be bottomed out. I would think the shorter zero distance would be even worse. Not only the holster issues, but what I don't like regarding the really tall sight is the range of vertical deviation you can have compared to a shorter sight.